No announcement yet.

Celebrating Seven Years Of Phoronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@allquixotic: I agree. The definition of "obtrusive" is subjective in this case. If bandwidth is a concern, the Flash ads take up a disproportionate amount of bandwidth relative to the content received. In my case, I have a fast connection and no bandwidth cap, so I choose to support the site that way since I can't afford premium membership at the moment. I encourage others in my position to do the same.

Comment

On my laptop, I use Chromium. I whitelist phoronix among a few other sites, then regularly I kill the flash process to free memory, which is a good tradeoff - the ads get viewed each time I open a page, but after a while I get to have my memory back.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        @allquixotic: I agree. The definition of "obtrusive" is subjective in this case. If bandwidth is a concern, the Flash ads take up a disproportionate amount of bandwidth relative to the content received. In my case, I have a fast connection and no bandwidth cap, so I choose to support the site that way since I can't afford premium membership at the moment. I encourage others in my position to do the same.
        Easy way of not getting flash attacked is from an iPad or iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone.

Comment

Serve your own ads

Friendly advise: Serve your own ads. Since you love beer so much (and keep promoting various brands) consider getting some beer sponsors...
          A donation system with monthly goals is also good idea.

Try to make your web advertisers understand how futile is to attempt banning adblock, and how a technologically minded community is able to bypass anything that gets in the way of content. If text is out there, it can be read without ads...

Adblock and friends typically target third party ad servers (some people tweak their hosts/resolv.conf, or firewall to achieve the same), yet it lets pass your very own server images; which is why i suggest you serve your own ads. Oh, and make sure they don't use any animation or flash, thats the most infuriating and irritating thing about them. Stick to text, png and jpg...

Remember, there is adblock, but there is also noscript, stylish, greasemonkey, lynx, etc and the aforementioned dns/firewall tricks. Adblock and others can also be configured to actually download but not display the ad, it wastes the bandwidth, but saves the irritation. Others exploit them by auto-clicking without seeing the ad, for those who pay more per click. This is their problem, not yours; and can do little about it, it is reality: the web is not tv.

Arrange your own deals for publicity, use a static image or 2 per page (header footer?) with the alt attribute set and served by your own server, and you'll see much more people seeing them and not bothering to eliminate them since they are not intrusive or annoying. Abuse it, and the inevitable occurs. Web advertisers don't get it, but you can.

Oh and remember, the same applies to tracking. Ghostery takes care of those. Third party trackers not only take bandwidth, they can also prevent the page from showing if the code is way too early (instead of the end of body). It is seriously annoying when there is a problem with the server of one of the trackers. I think you are only using Collective Media and Tribal Fusion so far... So its even possible for them to observe artificially lower stats compared to what you can gather directly, as people not only block third party ads, they also block trackers, scripts, cookies, referrer urls, web bugs, flash, etc to make the web experience sane again.

Happy birthday ^^

Comment

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            This is one of the great site for the multiple support. I like the way how they maintain the whole topics. I got many of the useful information from here.Thanks a lot guys.

Comment

Working...
            X