Make Creating Tests Easier and other Wishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make Creating Tests Easier and other Wishes

It would be really great if PTS would include a create-your-on-test feature.

Basically all it would need is to ask a few questions about the test (repetitions, what to monitor, etc.) and then you could use a bash script for testing. I know badly written scripts won't be portable, but it would be a huge improvement to make some testing easier.

It would also be great if you could ask it to switch to different settings (/proc and /sys) between tests to compare the effect settings have.

And a mobile runtime benchmark would be awesome. E.g. simulate some browsing, text processing, etc and monitor the battery usage.

btw. Some things I would love to see monitoring for are latency (see latencytop) and not just the frequency, but also the C states of your CPU (see powertop).

I forgot: Make the PTS more scriptable. The options which options to run a test with, at least the "name for the results" and "unique name for the test run" should be command line options so I can tell my script to get busy and do several tests in several configurations (esp. /sys settings) without any need for my help.

THANKS!

Comment

After I'm done with all of the major PTS3 developments, I do have some ideas to make for easier test creation.

Mobile benchmarks I want more of too, but anyone can make those My time is a bit limited right now still working on all of the major PTS3 pts-core changes.

Hmm yeah I can add latency/C-state things to pts-core sensor monitoring.

Thanks for the feedback.

-- Michael
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by djtm View Post
        I forgot: Make the PTS more scriptable. The options which options to run a test with, at least the "name for the results" and "unique name for the test run" should be command line options so I can tell my script to get busy and do several tests in several configurations (esp. /sys settings) without any need for my help.

THANKS!
        There is already that support. Well, first off there is the batch-run mode that can be configured via batch-setup, but there are already several environmental variables that PTS checks for when starting up that should cover all the ones you want. I think those env variables are documented in one of the HTML files in documentation/
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
        X