Upset that my school is now a "success story" for migration to Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
    I must say that I don't mind someone saying they don't know Linux so therefore can't support it but I do have a problem with someone who doesn't know Linux rubbishing it not because it's really rubbish, but because they want to avoid it due to holes in their own knowledge base.
    :nod: :nod:

A: "Hey, buddy! Long time no see. From Indonesia, right?"
    B: "Yeah, How do you know?"
    A" "Someone told me . Out of curiosity, what Durian taste like? You eat that things at least once right?"
    B: (ugh.. never tasted one, but..) "Hell yeah! it feel like salt, man! Don't you ever try it!"

...But, majority of Human being's like that. So??

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
      A: "Hey, buddy! Long time no see. From Indonesia, right?"
      Nope, Australia :-)

Indonesia's not that far away but my first international trip would likely be to England.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
        Really?

Here is a quick thought experiment... You get mailed a word document by a colleague, you save it to your USB stick, you go off to give a professional presentation with the USB stick...

Anyone see a potential "virus" problem in this?

If you are moving from computer to computer, you need to worry about viruses. Your computers may not impacted directly, but it looks appallingly unprofessional to be serving as a transfer vector.
        But why Linux user should care about this?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          This is extremely rare on Windows. On Linux for example, if you try to launch a binary you just downloaded and some lib is missing, you don't get an error message. On Windows it will say "morebloat.dll not found". Why not put this in a dialog on Linux too and say "libBloatware.so not found"?

It makes so much sense to tell the user about such errors. I wonder why this was never implemented by anyone.
          Now, I've got the point. I thought you were talking about missing dependencies when installing some .deb. This is very good point and it will be great idea to make a blueprint.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            Now, I've got the point. I thought you were talking about missing dependencies when installing some .deb. This is very good point and it will be great idea to make a blueprint.
            I too am amazed that you don't get any error messages when applications don't start correctly. Just push the icon and nothing happens. What the hell? From my perspective I don't really have an issue since i like the command line, but why not return the error messages? Should be simple. Or maybe returning errors is considered user unfriendly if you don't know how to interpret it?

Comment

And another thing, when you find out that you are missing some libraries, even I as a moderately experienced user have some hard time finding the right package that contains the library.

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
                And another thing, when you find out that you are missing some libraries, even I as a moderately experienced user have some hard time finding the right package that contains the library.
                Then the right thing to do is to fill a blue print, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  But why Linux user should care about this?
                  If you are really asking why linux users should care about acting responsibly, this conversation is a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
                    If you are really asking why linux users should care about acting responsibly, this conversation is a waste of time.
                    No, I just don't care about windows problems and I don't understand why somebody mentioned Linux users should care about Windows viruses in Linux only environments I was talking about. Maybe he wanted to throw responsibility of Windows design being messed up on Linux' users shoulders? I will explain you something which I thought is obvious. If my boss wants me to send him some document and he's using Windows then I'll scan the file and then send it to him, but in schools where Linux will be the only OS I wouldn't even bother doing so. Linux is virus free right now and I'm talking about bugs like Windows viruses and not about trojans which are something different and mess your system when you execute them yourself unlike winvirs which can affect you system when you simply login to the network.

Comment

I too am amazed that you don't get any error messages when applications don't start correctly. Just push the icon and nothing happens. What the hell?
                      Yeah, that sucks and is a user experience problem - not giving feedback. But I think this depends on the way the programs are coded. Sometimes the programers just don't implement this kind of feedback using GUI elements.

Or maybe returning errors is considered user unfriendly if you don't know how to interpret it?
                      I'm used to hearing windows users complain when they are presented with nothing more than backtrace messages when a program fails. It's also not very helpful but at least the user knows there was an error. However, implementing good error detection and output messages is very time consuming and basically adds nothing useful to the program functionality if the errors never occur.

Comment

Working...
                      X