No announcement yet.

ATI Radeon HD 5450 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As you can only "use" vaapi via vlc expect the mplayer numbers pointless as they do not show a correct picture. vlc needs much higher cpu especially when you switch from xv to opengl (together with amdcccle set to quality), the cpu usage is very high then. It would be certainly more efficiant to use other players which is not possible. Then xv would work as expected it would be a major step forward, but that was never the case since the dedicated overlay parts got removed from the chip. But who is really expecting xv to work with fglrx? A cheap ati hd 5 card is completely useless, even onboard ati would be better - there you can already use oss drivers, but for the new ones you need to wait 6/12 month till it will be standard in the distributions.

Comment

all I want tto know:
      aniso settings?
      aa settings?
      mipmap settings?

if all off: why?

those are crucial information.

btw, who is watching 'high def' video on linux? Seriously, besides demos?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
        btw, who is watching 'high def' video on linux? Seriously, besides demos?
        you're obviously kidding right?

Comment

okay, let me rephrase it: who is watching legally obtained high def videos which legally licenced tools on linux besides demos?

just because you have some cracked blue ray player or something does not turn you into an audience that must be catered for.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            It seems every other day people switch from calling me pro-NVIDIA or pro-ATI
            It doesn't matter which. The point is that there were lots of unnecessary subjective asides in the article. "Don't expect much from the Mesa/Gallium3D driver." Come on. It's still in that stage where it gets 3-5 big commits a day. It's called development. Your comment oozes with that "it's not faster than fglrx so it sucks" mentality.

Comment

okay, let me rephrase it: who is watching legally obtained high def videos which legally licenced tools on linux besides demos?

just because you have some cracked blue ray player or something does not turn you into an audience that must be catered for.
              Things that are illegal in america aren't neccessarily so for the rest of the world.

Comment

Well, since there aren't any legally licensed tools to watch blu-rays on linux, obviously no one is doing it that way. But it's not illegal (at least in Italy) to rip your legally obtained blu-rays and watch them with mplayer/xbmc/vlc. That's what I do all the time (as I don't own an hardware blu-ray player, either).

Comment

Originally posted by leif81 View Post
                  Things that are illegal in america aren't neccessarily so for the rest of the world.
                  Beaten by 120 secs

Comment

I have about 6 TV HD channels available that are free and not DRM encrypted. They serve HD video 24 hours a day, and I can watch and record them legally under Linux. They broadcast in 1080i, but for movies and some series they usually send 2 trames of the same progressive picture, thus combining into 1080p videos.

I can also legally rip Bluray and decrypt them to play them under Linux.

As for the
                    your insulting comment fails at logic. Since when is Universal trying to sell me a Radeon HD 5450?

There's proverb that applies perfectly to you, energyman:

It is better to keep your mouth shut, and look like a fool, than to open your mouth, and remove all doubt.

You, sir, have let us no doubt.

Comment

fglrx is the biggest piece of crap driver ever. Anyone loving ATI for the sake of fglrx is definitely having something wrong in their head.

fglrx, is, a, lie.

Comment

Working...
                      X