Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ext3 vs ntfs as windows app/games drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ext3 vs ntfs as windows app/games drive?

I am about to replace my current hard drive in my computer with a new Samsung F3 and I was doing some testing on my current drive using crystal disk mark. I tested my C: drive which has most of the disk space to see how fast it is after that I tested my G: drive which is a mounted ext3 partion. Well after some quick tests it seems at 50MB 4k reads are much faster using ext2 than ntfs .7~MB sec compared to .42MB sec for read while write is about the same. If I increase the size the advantage drops, but it could be that the drop is from the fragmentation(2GB/100GB free) and the the fact that it is at the end of the drive.

Has anyone else done testing to see if its worth using ext2 as a main partition in windows(30GBs for NTFS so windows can install)? I am really considering doing this when my new drive arrives, but I would hate to do it without additional input.
    Thanks

Well looking at bit more into this "idea" I have decided it is bad for a few reasons now. First and foremost the drivers for windows just don't support enough features, they cant defrag a ext3 partition. Next that is equally important is it gets mounted as a ext2 partition so journalizing is out the window(or is it windows?). Last but not least how am I going to fsck it unless I go into Linux regularly on this computer.
    I guess I should have looked further into this before posting about it, I got all excited when I saw the increase from 4k reads and jumped the gun with ideas of what I am going to do.

Comment

NTFS-3G is not so fast like Win with NTFS write but is it relatively secure, so i already dropped all fat32 partitions. It is much easier to access NTFS from Linux than accessing ext4 from Win. Ok, ext2/3 would be possible but i would never use that as default storage for Win.

Comment

Originally posted by sc3252 View Post
        Well looking at bit more into this "idea" I have decided it is bad for a few reasons now. First and foremost the drivers for windows just don't support enough features, they cant defrag a ext3 partition. Next that is equally important is it gets mounted as a ext2 partition so journalizing is out the window(or is it windows?). Last but not least how am I going to fsck it unless I go into Linux regularly on this computer.
        I guess I should have looked further into this before posting about it, I got all excited when I saw the increase from 4k reads and jumped the gun with ideas of what I am going to do.
        How often have you defraged ext3? You need to convert it to ext2 and then do an offline defrag. I dont think many people do that.... Anywyas its pretty much unecessary unless you do really slow writes.

And NTFS under linux using fuse gets you pretty impressive performance nowadays. For storage its more than good enough. Fuse is a very impressive system. Have a look at some benchmnarks and you will see its not far behind windows in read/writes.

To store files its not like you need extreme performance anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmozilla View Post
          How often have you defraged ext3? You need to convert it to ext2 and then do an offline defrag. I dont think many people do that.... Anywyas its pretty much unecessary unless you do really slow writes.

And NTFS under linux using fuse gets you pretty impressive performance nowadays. For storage its more than good enough. Fuse is a very impressive system. Have a look at some benchmnarks and you will see its not far behind windows in read/writes.

To store files its not like you need extreme performance anyways.
          You can defragment with tar too but that is ofline too. Just read everything to one tar archive and delete and restore from tar archive.

Comment

Working...
          X