Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to merge more than two result sets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to merge more than two result sets?

Two works just fine with the merge-result command. Can I merge more than two? I've seen them on the Global site, with seven results merged into one, I'd like to do something like that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Basically that's been done by just compounding results over time. There's a number of ways to merge results, but right now if you have a lot of independent files it needs to be done like:

phoronix-test-suite merge-results file1 file2
    phoronix-test-suite merge-results new-merge-file file3
    etc... etc....

I can see about adding support for adding more than two merges in one command.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yeah

Yes, that's what I ended up doing. It's fine for a few, but it would get tedious if you're merging, say ten or fifteen sets.. merge A & B, then merge it with C, then merge that with D.. you see what I mean.

It would be nice to be able to give one command and merge a bunch together.

By the way, I see you're part of the IDG Tech Network. That's interesting, cause I am using PTS to test a bunch of workstations for a story for PC World India (www.pcworld.in). I must say that PTS is really pretty fantastic, and it really made life easier for me. My compliments to your team, and I'm quite sure that PTS is going to become the standard Linux benchmarking tool.

Couple of suggestions:

1. Sometimes, the downloads are really slow. This is because the mirror on the other end is slow. PTS currently retries if the download stops completely, but if the user could cancel the current download and have PTS start it from a different mirror, that would be good.

2. In the documentation, a few more examples of multiple cases would be nice. The kind of questions I faced would have been easily solved with a few more examples, with explanations. I could contribute on this (my coding skills are not what you'd call l33t, but I write for a living!)

3. A GUI. Yes, I know, that's pretty redundant for most serious testing, but it would go a long way towards making PTS the equivalent of PC Mark and 3D Mark on Windows. If your average user can download it and just click a button here and there and get a nice shiny result, PTS is bound to get a lot more attention.

However, as someone who reviews stuff professionally, I really like your current setup (ssh FTW, esp. when you're testing over the weekend), so the GUI thing can probably wait for later.

Anyway, thanks again for a great tool, and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by adityanag View Post
        Yes, that's what I ended up doing. It's fine for a few, but it would get tedious if you're merging, say ten or fifteen sets.. merge A & B, then merge it with C, then merge that with D.. you see what I mean.

It would be nice to be able to give one command and merge a bunch together.

By the way, I see you're part of the IDG Tech Network. That's interesting, cause I am using PTS to test a bunch of workstations for a story for PC World India (www.pcworld.in). I must say that PTS is really pretty fantastic, and it really made life easier for me. My compliments to your team, and I'm quite sure that PTS is going to become the standard Linux benchmarking tool.
        Nice. Glad you like it

1. Sometimes, the downloads are really slow. This is because the mirror on the other end is slow. PTS currently retries if the download stops completely, but if the user could cancel the current download and have PTS start it from a different mirror, that would be good.
        One alternative for you would be setting PromptForDownloadMirror to TRUE in your ~/.phoronix-test-suite/user-config.xml. When it comes time to download a file, the user is then shown all available mirrors and it asks you which you would like to use.

2. In the documentation, a few more examples of multiple cases would be nice. The kind of questions I faced would have been easily solved with a few more examples, with explanations. I could contribute on this (my coding skills are not what you'd call l33t, but I write for a living!)
        Patches and documentation are always welcome

3. A GUI. Yes, I know, that's pretty redundant for most serious testing, but it would go a long way towards making PTS the equivalent of PC Mark and 3D Mark on Windows. If your average user can download it and just click a button here and there and get a nice shiny result, PTS is bound to get a lot more attention.
        Without sharing too many of the features early for Phoronix Test Suite 2.0, there will be a web-interface where a PTS server can be setup and PTS clients can connect to it as nodes. Then from that secure web panel, you can schedule tests, suites, view system info, etc... etc... all from that secure area.

When that work is done, it will be equally simple to just whip up a GTK interface for the client.

However, as someone who reviews stuff professionally, I really like your current setup (ssh FTW, esp. when you're testing over the weekend), so the GUI thing can probably wait for later.

Anyway, thanks again for a great tool, and good luck.
        Thanks!

Post if you come up with any other ideas or requests (or would like to link to your stories with readers where you use PTS)

Michael
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
        X