GNOME's OPW Women Program Becomes Outreachy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    I want that chair. Where did you get that chair?
    The beanbag? See the Sumo reviews - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=search&q=Sumo
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

GNOME is the worst.

This program could only be deemed successful if it brings more hot broads into the software industry.

Comment

The article's headline is about the program being renamed, yet there isn't a single reason listed why it was renamed in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
          The article's headline is about the program being renamed, yet there isn't a single reason listed why it was renamed in the first place?
          turns out offering programs to people just because they have a specific bodypart is discrimination, so it was renamed to reflect that

who knew?

Comment

I may have a marginally closer perspective on this issue because at my last job, some of my co-workers were closely involved with OPW.

Let's just be clear here: yes, this program and its charter cause me to roll my eyes a bit. Especially this bit:
            We are planning to expand the program to more participants from underrepresented backgrounds in the future.
            You mean, as soon as they make the... whitelist? *rimshot*

But! Because they genuinely are paying for legitimate and useful open-source software work, they're pretty much above reproach in my opinion. If their goal is to improve open-source software using donated funds, then they are accomplishing that goal, albiet in their own rather particular way. I may poke fun, but I do so gently and without any real resentment.

It's like a college scholarships. There are scholarships for all kinds of ridiculous things-- scholarships for people with red hair, scholarships for people of a certain astrological sign, etc. They may seem silly, but the result of those scholarships is that you can actually find financial help even if you're not a top student or a star athlete. They serve a purpose. So, too, does [s]OPW[/s] Outreachy.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
              What defines an underrepresented group? Just the people they choose to have sex with?
              No. Because, as the article states, gender identity is just one of the examples and, second, gender identity and sexual orientation being two very different things.

Cheers,
              _

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                You didn't read the article at all, right?
                The program expanded its scope, the old name didn't reflect the new scope properly.

Cheers,
                _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                  No. Because, as the article states, gender identity is just one of the examples and, second, gender identity and sexual orientation being two very different things.

Cheers,
                  _
                  I identify as a gender fluid demisexual feline trapped in a human body. You can read more about it on my tumblr. I hope outreachy can accommodate.
                  Cheers,

Comment

Threads on this subject usually devolve into a misogynistic bitch-fest, this is quite a improvement.

Personally, I think it's good that they're trying. Open source could use more diversity.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                      I identify as a gender fluid demisexual feline trapped in a human body. You can read more about it on my tumblr. I hope outreachy can accommodate.
                      Cheers,
                      Have you ever been to TumblrInAction?

Comment

Working...
                      X