Clear All

Bitcoin

How can I subscribe with Bitcoin ?
    How much it cost for one year ?

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post

USD $35/year (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=phoronix_premium)

Maybe you can email Michael ([email protected]) and ask him to set up a bitcoin address on coinbase or something? Meanwhile, PayPal will do if you can use it.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
        I meant how much it cost in Bitcoin.

Meanwhile, PayPal will do if you can use it.
        No it doesn't works. I wanted to pay with my credit card but PayPal needs to credit my PayPal account or another some sort of insane things I absolutely don't understand. Why can't they do thing simple... PAYPAL = shit.

Comment

Would need to email me with your forum name, Bitcoin transaction number, etc.

Cost with current pricing looks like it'd be 0.135 BTC or so. My address is https://blockchain.info/address/1Hef...sVv5b5YLPLLvWn
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I meant how much it cost in Bitcoin.
            Use http://coinmarketcap.com/ to convert BTC<->USD.

No it doesn't works. I wanted to pay with my credit card but PayPal needs to credit my PayPal account or another some sort of insane things I absolutely don't understand. Why can't they do thing simple... PAYPAL = shit.
            Can't help you there - my PayPal profile has both my checking and credit card info, and I can pay with both at will. It does not need to credit anything to my paypal account when paying via credit card, it has the ability to charge your CC directly. Perhaps contact PayPal directly to resolve the issue you might be having...

Apparently you can also donate via this link https://flattr.com/thing/448387/Phoronix

Comment

Social activist and journalist computers also require adblocking

Originally posted by mwpow3ll View Post
              This is untrue; I just tested and saw it three times in less than 3 minutes. First, main phoronix site on load. Second, page load of "Arctic Z2 Pro Dual Monitor Stand". Third, page load of "Part tTwo of KDAB's QT3D 2.0 overview".

On a side note, I don't usually care what tech an Ad is displayed with, because I learned my lesson a long time ago. I was at the office and doing research online. I loaded a website and turned my back to reset a board and my boss walked in. Immediately the boss tells me I should be more careful; the website was displaying an ad that was of a woman topless covering herself using her arms wearing lingerie type underwear advocating a singles dating site. The ad wasn't nude, but it was highly suggestive and in work environments where sexual harrasment can be levied for even the slightest thing, it's just not acceptable to allow any ads. Furthermore, in todays society where computers are becoming required for children to complete some homework, I will never let my child browse online without AdBlock enabled; thus, I use AdBlock indiscriminately... plain and simple.
              For us social activists, one reason we use Linux is to reduce the effectiveness of state sponsored malware and tracking software. Unfortunately one simple approach for governments is to buy the tracking data from commercial tracking servers. Also, posts requiring deniable authorship now have to come from computers free of supercookies and not in browser/hardware fingerprint databases mantained by companies like BlueCava. Running Firefox from RAM, with a new .mozilla directory each time defeats supercookies (I tested this) but not fingerprinting. This being so, no untrusted site or server can be ever permitted to run abitrary code on computers in my line of activity. Given that hardware can be fingerprinted, even switching to TAILS may not be enough when you suddenly need all the privacy you can get.

On another note, I was once attacked online for posting videos to Liveleak, which uses some "sexy" ads emdedded directly in their page and which cannot thus be blocked and are not directly connected to trackers. The content didn't bother me a whit but some of my viewers were seriously offended. Had to remind them that I shitcanned Youtube over Google's privacy practices and scanning videos for music, and that Vimeo blocks forming accounts from adblocking machines. At that time was not familiar with Archive (non ad supported) as a place to host videos.

As for premium accounts, I am not employed, and I do not sell ads on the news video that is my main output (for me to do so would be hypocrisy). I once asked if connecting to Phoronix at intervals from junk machines set up not to block ads would be worthwhile as a measure to support the site but the only answer I received was from someone saying the electrical cost would exceed the ad revenues to Phoronix. I've connected from old Pentium 4's with Mint live disks running from time to time just out of curiosity to see exactly what the ads were doing, did see a lot of CPU use but expected it on such old crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Would need to email me with your forum name, Bitcoin transaction number, etc.

Cost with current pricing looks like it'd be 0.135 BTC or so. My address is https://blockchain.info/address/1Hef...sVv5b5YLPLLvWn
                Do you get paid just for serving ad impressions by your advertisers or will you get paid if I actually clicked through on an ad and bought something I might like? I've never in my life, at least that I can remember, bought something by clicking on an unsolicited ad impression regardless of how 'targeted' it was at me, but for Phoronix I'd do it if I knew it was going to help you and I wanted the item....

Comment

Do you get paid just for serving ad impressions by your advertisers or will you get paid if I actually clicked through on an ad and bought something I might like? I've never in my life, at least that I can remember, bought something by clicking on an unsolicited ad impression regardless of how 'targeted' it was at me, but for Phoronix I'd do it if I knew it was going to help you and I wanted the item....
                  I'm paid by impression (i.e. ad loading).
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I think Michael has an Amazon referral scheme too, so if you buy stuff after clicking through his link, he will get a small kickback.

Comment

I hated the forum-login all the time, even if I *do* visit the forums. I start my day by reading news on feedly, and Phoronix is a big part of that. And when I open the article on Phoronix.com through feedly, I wasn't logged in.
                      Good that this is fixed, will resub (well, not even a month since I was still Premium, ha!) now. Next on my list:

- mobile site or improving the current one to be easier to use on smartphones

And I'd also love, but guess it's not important enough to implement:

- full-text RSS feeds for premium subscribers (Golem.de has done this, you get a unique full-text RSS-link as a subscriber only)

Phoronix has been one of the most interesting and important news sites for years, so I am glad to see any improvements.

Comment

Working...
                      X