No announcement yet.

AMD Wants To Know What's Wrong With Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything. Just work on radeon and make it better.

Comment

Put all your efforts in the open source driver.

Comment

Make it open source.
        Radeon people can help working on one single well working driver, everyone using linux will suddently buy AMD only.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          Metro Last Light does not work at all with Catalyst. Granted it may not be AMD's fault strictly speaking as 4A games seem to care about Nvidia only
          Have to ask, what card/driver?

Having a AMD(290x) card it runs Metro fine, all be it not as quick as windows! Hell even my old 5870 managed it. Not very good but it worked!

Don't get me wrong, the performance of there linux driver compared to windows it pants! The 1 game that I've had issues with is Natural selection, all though since last 2 or so patch's that's worked.

Comment

I have problem with Catalyst and google chrome. But work much better with open source driver. I may get NVIDIA soon if AMD don't do anything about the driver and make new power efficient GPU like Maxwell.

Comment

I love all the non-catalyst users...GTFO morons.

Issue 1 and the biggest issue frame jitter/lag stutter. It may read 300fps but that jitter makes it feel like 15. It usually gets better after a few minutes but returns at the start of a new level sometimes. Fix this then we will talk about the other things

I suppose the other biggest issue is the x freezing with certain games played through wine.

Comment

#1: Memory fragmentation, stuttering even if you have a high frame rate.
                #2: Performance (frame rate) lower compared to windows using the same applications.
                #3: Hardware acceleration for videos and/or in browsers simply doesn't exist. (Not even HTML5 acceleration, no WebGL, no Flash acceleration etc.)

I can't think of any other serious issues related to desktop computers and discrete single GPU video cards. More complicated hardware might have more issues though.

Comment

Its propriatary. Thats wrong!

Well, the #1 thing about Catalyst which is wrong: it is proprietary. This is really wrong approach in Linux which implies heck a lot of weird troubles. At the end of day I got fed up with Catalyst crap and gone using opensource drivers. I wish AMD to make them the only solution for Linux, and first class citizen. Just as Intel does. Intel's Linux driver is really nice (except crappy GPU hardware itself).
                  Last edited by System25; 27 September 2014, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                    Metro Last Light does not work at all with Catalyst. Granted it may not be AMD's fault strictly speaking as 4A games seem to care about Nvidia only
                    I played Metro last light on my HD5750 on openSUSE.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                      I suppose the other biggest issue is the x freezing with certain games played through wine.
                      To be fair, that also happens on the Nvidia driver with some games.

Comment

Working...
                      X