A Tour Of The New Phoronix Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
    Michael, it says this story was published on 21 July 2014. Is this supposed to be on top of the front page at the moment?
    Whoops, yeah it's for today (21 Sep), accidentally added wrong date on the back-end article side.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Here's an idea how to maximize your profits. You do a lot of tests on lots of hardware which produces a lot of heat, so you could grow some crops in there, so you get a beautiful greeny environment and sell crops. Recommend starting with broccoli since it's pretty pricey.
      If he was going to do something like that, he should have moved to Colorado. Beautiful scenery, lots of trails to ride (if you're into that), you can grow Cannabis privately, and if you have a license you can sell it.

Also, the local breweries there have some pretty tasty stuff. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
        If he was going to do something like that, he should have moved to Colorado. Beautiful scenery, lots of trails to ride (if you're into that), you can grow Cannabis privately, and if you have a license you can sell it.

I heard there are in the hundreds of breweries out there and Oregon has something similar?!

Comment

Congrats!

Congrats Michael and Fatima on the new family nest. I live in the SF Bay Area. Boy, do I know what you mean by high taxes. Enjoy your new life!

Comment

Many screens, but very few working space. Wouldn't do it this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Desti View Post
              How would you do it then?
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post

Yeah, if he grew weed his articles would be more funny to read. He already has a passion for beer so I think weed would blend in nicely: Phoronix - all about Linux, beer and cannabis. People would send him free samples of beer and weed and he'd make reviews of them too!

The website is greeny already, so he's on a good start.
                Last edited by mark45; 21 September 2014, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Desti View Post
                  Since that workspace is basically just for benchmarking and testing, I'd say it's plenty of space. In the past, I have mentioned alternative ways to shrink his work flow but honestly if this layout works for him and gets us our content then who are we to question it? He's come to us for our opinions in the past so I'm sure he'd do it again if he had a problem with it. I still think that using 1 big display while using X over SSH (or just simply SSH) should probably be the easiest way to get his job done, but it would also add some overhead.

Comment

Mick! If you're up for a challenge, get yourself a drop-saw (hire one is your best bet, or talk to a local shop to I guess), and cut a bunch of slots in to a plank of wood to store all your peripherals and RAMmage. A bit more time, and you can build a racking system (plenty of old cabinets with runners) to save more space, and ideally make it convenient. And it will fit in your lock-up cabinet. I've lost more old hardware to stacking in piles than static (none). Granted, I moved around lot to, though.

You'll be glad you did. Nothing like a clean and organised workspace. And it's just nice to work with wood.

And doesn't the US have a burgeoning micro-brewery industry? Would have thought you'd be on to that stuff!
                    Last edited by stiiixy; 21 September 2014, 10:33 PM.
                    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                      Mick! If you're up for a challenge, get yourself a drop-saw (hire one is your best bet, or talk to a local shop to I guess), and cut a bunch of slots in to a plank of wood to store all your peripherals and RAMmage. A bit more time, and you can build a racking system (plenty of old cabinets with runners) to save more space, and ideally make it convenient. And it will fit in your lock-up cabinet. I've lost more old hardware to stacking in piles than static (none). Granted, I moved around lot to, though.

You'll be glad you did. Nohing like a clean and organised workspace. And it's just nice to work with wood.
                      I actually have a drop saw, but not sure what your idea is with regard to the design for housing all the components in some space-efficient manner. The only ideas I have that come to mind would consume more room than how I have it setup now. Albeit finding the time to do it will also be more burdensome when usually my piles haven't caused many (very very rarely) static deaths and is generally organized good enough (by vendor, or in cases of graphics cards also sub-organized by every few generations into a pile).
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X