FSF Issues Their Rebuttal To Apple's New iPhone, Watch & Apple Pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSF Issues Their Rebuttal To Apple's New iPhone, Watch & Apple Pay

Phoronix: FSF Issues Their Rebuttal To Apple's New iPhone, Watch & Apple Pay

John Sullivan, the Executive Director of the Free Software Foundation, has commented on Apple's much anticipated launch of the iPhone 6, Apple Pay, and the brand new product line: the Apple Watch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is... is this news? "OMG I don't like what they're doing!! *bitch bitch bitch*"

I mean, I'm all for FOSS and even GNU utilities and such, but the FSF is so useless these days. It doesn't really do anything but start up random and (mostly) useless projects.
    The replicant project is a good one that I wish didn't have to exist, but it does have to... But many other projects are generally worthless.

Don't even get me started on their idea of "marketing" or "design"...

Comment

Don't worry about Apple cause they're already digging themselves a hole they can't get out. Jailbreaking is all but dead now on iPhones as Apple has won. Anyone who enjoys freedom won't buy them anymore. Samsung though does an excellent job in allowing customers to do what they want with their phones and tablets.

Keep in mind that Android is expanding much faster then iOS. I wanted to buy a new car stereo for my car and I said to myself "I wish I had Android for a car stereo". Sure enough they exist. It's gotten to the point that Android will appear in every device, cause Android does make it better. Having Android in my car stereo not only allows me better control for music, but videos, games, GPS, theft location tracking, and I can even have it read OBD2 from the car. Meanwhile Apple made a watch.

The only people who will buy their nonsense are people who think that owning Apple products still makes you look cool and Apple fanboys.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        Keep in mind that Android is expanding much faster then iOS. I wanted to buy a new car stereo for my car and I said to myself "I wish I had Android for a car stereo". Sure enough they exist. It's gotten to the point that Android will appear in every device, cause Android does make it better. Having Android in my car stereo not only allows me better control for music, but videos, games, GPS, theft location tracking, and I can even have it read OBD2 from the car. Meanwhile Apple made a watch.
        Not dissimilar to the old days of PCs, really. Apple remained somewhat exclusive, combining hardware and software, and keeping both under their control. Whereas Microsoft, sticking to a software focus, had every incentive to see *everyone* using their software, regardless of whether they bought hardware from IBM, Compaq, or any of the myriad companies who started building compatible machines. One of these companies ended up ruling the desktop software for decades, and well... it wasn't Apple.

Comment

replicant: which phone works now, completely?

A mate purchased a phone (Galaxy S2) for use with Replicant but when he installed a lot of features of the phone did not work. So he went to CyanogenMod, which at least gives him a functioning smartphone that's mostly open source.

As far as I know replicant android does not function properly (i.e. all the hardware works) on any smart phone. So recommending replicant when this is the case causes more harm than good.

Unless there is a phone I can go and buy that does have 100% replicant androi device support, out of the box??

Comment

The only people who will buy their nonsense are people who think that owning Apple products still makes you look cool and Apple fanboys.
            Unfortunately, there are far too many of them! Unfortunately

Comment

Don't worry about Apple cause they're already digging themselves a hole they can't get out. Jailbreaking is all but dead now on iPhones as Apple has won. Anyone who enjoys freedom won't buy them anymore. Samsung though does an excellent job in allowing customers to do what they want with their phones and tablets.

All I can say is Android can blow me, and I hope that Ubuntu, Tizen and Jolla all make proper inroads sooner rather than later so we have choice and competition.

It's none of Google business what I am listening to when and where I am going in what car, and how fast. I dont like their ad driven privacy raping methodology.
              Hi

Comment

What the FSF is missing is that people will use FOSS software when: 1) Does the job 2) Is easy to use 3) Is polished in every possible way.

And most FOSS devs (mobile/desktop/whatever) are incapable of producing software with the above requirements.

Comment

I don't recall anyone asking the FSF if I give a rat's ass what they think? What makes them think people truly give a crap what they have to say about a commercial product they'll never develop?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    What the FSF is missing is that people will use FOSS software when: 1) Does the job 2) Is easy to use 3) Is polished in every possible way.

And most FOSS devs (mobile/desktop/whatever) are incapable of producing software with the above requirements.
                    The ones capable of those are most likely now working for Apple.

Comment

Working...
                    X