What GNOME's Women Outreach Program Is Paying For This Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
    No clue what distributing a file system or a file system's implementation has anything to do with that at all though.
    And you wonder why women stay away from FOSS.

Comment

• Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I fully understand what you're saying but what I think you're forgetting is many women are DISCOURAGED to get into tech fields. If you want examples, go to websites like notalwaysright.com, search for any tech related thing, and you'll find an insane amount of bigotry toward women. It's a shame we still have to live in a world like this.

But, if women aren't appreciated and wanted in tech fields, then they'll never feel the want or ability to join. Give women a dedicated incentive to do something for the linux (or at least gnome) community and it could really be appealing to them.

On a side note, there are people like nixiepixel on youtube. I can't really tell if she's helping or hurting the appeal of more women joining the linux community. I think the fact that she's attractive and self-passionate about linux helps make linux seem "cool" to some, on the other hand, she's not really helping women in the developer or professional realm.
      Took me some time to try to understand wither you are researching some way to hook up a girl from a tech field or just have a lot of time to waste.
      Nixie does it for relations, social recognition and pay-views, three hares with one slap. The types of people GNOME tried to support is quite different, those are problematic people and introducing them into a realm is like stirring some dirt into the tea at an excuse of a "choice". BSD init is wrong and outdated, use socket activation!

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        And you wonder why women stay away from FOSS.
        Majority of professions are gender-agnostic. Tech field is such one. Unless one is bright enough to use own genitalia to type on keyboard.
        Or accuses others of discrimination due to the lack of it. Instead of using hands. For coding.

Or do you object that every time ReiserFS is installed, a woman is killed somewhere? Cool logic.
        Last edited by brosis; 18 May 2014, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• I think for the most part, the Linux and free software community do not have issues with gender inequality. I fact I think one of the most friendliest computer community to women is this community. Want to see gender inequality? Go to the BSD projects.

FreeBSD in particular de-humanize females to being sex objects for the sake of creating promotional pictures for thier OS and lifestyle as shown here.

Also here is a picture with iXsystems employee, BSD troll and Linux hater Matt Olander standing next to woman dressed like a prostition to promote BSD.

It seems that in every BSD promotion fanfare, there are alots of these scantly dressed women standing around. Considering the near non-existence of BSD popularity, it's most likely that these woman are not true BSD supporters but rather street prostitutes and pin up girls payed by iXsystems and the FreeBSD foundation to post at thier fanfare.

Regardless, it just shows how sick and horrible BSD poeple are.

Comment

Working...
          X