Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampere Computing 2024 Roadmap Update: 256 Core 3nm CPU In 2025

Phoronix: Ampere Computing 2024 Roadmap Update: 256 Core 3nm CPU In 2025

Ampere Computing today made public their roadmap update concerning current and future AArch64 server processors. AmpereOne availability remains tough but the company is hoping next year to introduce a 3nm CPU with up to 256 cores and supporting 12 channel DDR5 memory.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AmpereOne is a processor that is not there yet. So they should compare to AMD which is also not there yet.

That a new one made with better technology is better than an old one made with worse technology is quite obvious.​​​

Comment

How about 8 or 16 cores, and a design that can compete with the Apple monopoly?
      Cloud cloud cloud... AI AI AI.... Where is desktop!

Comment

Maybe some day I'll be able to replace my 16 core 7950X with a 32 core ARM system.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Where is desktop!
          As soon as you can commit to offering as much profit as a Hyperscaler/HPC customer, it will happen.

Comment

How about 8 or 16 cores, and a design that can compete with the Apple monopoly?
            Cloud cloud cloud... AI AI AI.... Where is desktop!
            Haven't you heard? Your desktop is being moved to the cloud. Where helpful AI will be even more accessible. And you'll be allowed to use it for the low, low rental fee of just $99.99 a month.

Comment

Funny that they don't even bother to compare to Intel. What I find a bit disingenuous with these comparisons is how they always compare their unreleased arch to one that's been on the market for almost a year (in this case even more, for Genoa). Even then, it's great that there is better competition for AMD, which are already doing greatly, and these processors are very appealing at first glance. Hopefully this means my tiny share count will balloon even more?

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

As soon as you can commit to offering as much profit as a Hyperscaler/HPC customer, it will happen.
                Partner with Microsoft, develop a boot standard (or even just use UEFI), make standard ARM platform, get Windows on it, convince OEMs to use new platform so they can advertise battery life...

Done! Apple now has competition and Intel is doomed.

It's sort of evil I know, but hey, it at least kills x86 for once.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Haven't you heard? Your desktop is being moved to the cloud. Where helpful AI will be even more accessible. And you'll be allowed to use it for the low, low rental fee of just $99.99 a month.
                  Imagine paying $12000 for 10 years, and have extra latency! Would rather buy a system...

Comment

Partner with Microsoft, develop a boot standard (or even just use UEFI), make standard ARM platform, get Windows on it, convince OEMs to use new platform so they can advertise battery life...

Done! Apple now has competition and Intel is doomed.

It's sort of evil I know, but hey, it at least kills x86 for once.
                    So... like the UEFI-using Windows-running ARM systems that OEMs are already selling?

Comment

Working...
                    X