Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.9-rc6 To Fix Accidentally Disabling Mitigations By Default For Non-x86 CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.9-rc6 To Fix Accidentally Disabling Mitigations By Default For Non-x86 CPUs

Phoronix: Linux 6.9-rc6 To Fix Accidentally Disabling Mitigations By Default For Non-x86 CPUs

A commit made to the Linux kernel three weeks ago accidentally broke the default CPU security mitigations for non-x86 CPUs. With code sent in today via x86/urgent ahead of tonight's Linux 6.9-rc6 release, that accidental default breakage is being addressed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I gotta tell you first, that I'm no expert here and the following is just a feeling, not a fact....but I got a feeling, even tough this time it might be really just a mistake and humans make mistakes...that in the future, where open source will be even more dominant than today, the "accidentally"-disabling-mitigations-by-default-stuff will become more frequent, so that maybe state actors have at least some time till the next patch, to do their "work".
    How many good security experts does the Linux community really have? And how many of them have the time to review stuff. Exactly, probably not so many. So sure, it's good that in theory we all can inspect the code, but in reality...well, we more or less are just naive believers regarding our privacy and security on Linux, and the intelligence agencies will exploit this heavily.​

Comment

Yet again, bad variable naming has led to serious troubles.

Comment

Working...
      X