Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i7 1280P "Alder Lake P" Linux Laptop Performance

Phoronix: Intel Core i7 1280P "Alder Lake P" Linux Laptop Performance

Launched earlier this year was Alder Lake P series for modern Intel laptops with up to 14 cores / 20 threads for modern Intel laptops. Many Phoronix readers have been inquiring about Alder Lake laptop support and performance under Linux and recently I finally got my hands on an Alder Lake P device in the form of the MSI Prestige 14Evo A12M-231 that features the flagship ADL-P model of the Core i7 1280P. Today's article is focused on the Linux performance of that flagship Core i7 1280P compared to other AMD and Intel laptop processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What I find interesting is that the perf/watt rating of the alderlake cores is worse than that of their predecessor in tigerlake, and these are also sometimes worse than their icelake parents.
    amd got better perf/watt with every generation, while intels got worse.
    The 5500U is an elightenment wrt. efficiency.
    Last edited by mlau; 14 July 2022, 06:52 AM.

Comment

It would be interesting how they compare for compiling a larger C++ code base like LLVM. In that case the cooling system of the notebook would be an important factor but it still would give a hint. My 12900H is quite fast but it would be interesting to see how fast AMD is.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
        What I find interesting is that the perf/watt rating of the alderlake cores is worse than that of their predecessor in tigerlake, and these are also sometimes worse than their icelake parents.
        Because Intel tries to win with excessive overclocking and that ultimatly destroyes efficiency (have a look at the max frequency and max power consumption). Also they are far behind with their manufracturing process, take a look at the average power consumption and at the average frequency of each CPU and remember 1280 is positioned against the 6000 series from AMD while loosing to the 4000 series in efficiency.

Comment

Michael

Typo "14Evo" should be "14 Evo"

@bridgeman I feel bad for AMD's engineer team. Build a great product -- but marketing can't supply Phoronix a review model?

The latest and greatest model can't even show up to get a participation trophy let alone an invite to what should clearly be (we can only guess at this point) a nice comfy spot in the win column?

AMD - A marketing Disaster. If you can't market a win, you fail.

Comment

The Ryzen 5500U impress me the most in these banchmarks.

Wonder how it compares to the Apple M1(pro) in therms of performance per watt...
            Last edited by Raka555; 14 July 2022, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Short version...
              • Intel 10nm still vastly inferior to TSMC 7nm
              • Alder Lake still makes more sense on desktop vs. mobile
              Intel has to try and clock to the moon to eke out benchmark wins, and they end up in a horrible portion of the power / efficiency curve.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                Short version...
                • Intel 10nm still vastly inferior to TSMC 7nm
                • Alder Lake still makes more sense on desktop vs. mobile
                Intel has to try and clock to the moon to eke out benchmark wins, and they end up in a horrible portion of the power / efficiency curve.
                It's not so obvious that TSMC's node is better than Intel's - mobile Ryzen CPUs are clocked a lot lower, so it's quite possible that ADL could show a much better efficiency as well if you limit the turbo frequency. No one has tested it

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                The Ryzen 5500U impress me the most in these banchmarks.

Wonder how it compares to the Apple M1(pro) in therms of performance per watt...
                Whenever possible buy 5400U/5600U/5800U instead because they are based on Zen 3, vs. 5500U which is a Zen 2 CPU.

Comment

What I find interesting is that the perf/watt rating of the alderlake cores is worse than that of their predecessor in tigerlake, and these are also sometimes
                  This is not true.
                  Geometric mean:
                  i7 alder lake: 48
                  i7 ice lake: 37

Alder is 30% faster

average power:
                  i7 alder lake: 35
                  i7 ice lake: 30

Alder consume 16% more power, so is more efficent

but 5900HX is less efficient than i7 P

AMD: 54 pts /45W = 1.2 points per watt
                  Intel: 48 pts /35W = 1.37 points per watt

Comment

Are we reading the same results?

From the last page of the review:

Core i7 1280P - average 35W, vs. e.g. Core i7 1185G7 average 30W while the ADL part is a lot faster both in MT and ST. There's no regression in terms of power efficiency for ADL, but not much of an improvement either.

Comment

Working...
                    X