Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 5 8400F vs. Intel Core i5 14400F: 230+ Benchmarks For Sub-$200 CPU Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 5 8400F vs. Intel Core i5 14400F: 230+ Benchmarks For Sub-$200 CPU Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 5 8400F vs. Intel Core i5 1440F: 230+ Benchmarks For Sub-$200 CPU Performance

This week AMD announced the Ryzen 5 8400F and Ryzen 7 8700F processors as new Zen 4 budget CPU contenders lacking any integrated graphics. While part of the Ryzen 8000 series, the 8400F also lacks the Ryzen AI support found in the higher-end SKUs. The Ryzen 5 8400F offers 6 cores / 12 threads, a 4.2GHz base clock and 4.7GHz boost clock, and a 65 Watt TDP while retailing for $169~189 USD. Here are some initial benchmarks of the AMD Ryzen 5 8400F in putting it up against 230+ benchmarks under Linux while also monitoring the CPU power consumption and comparing it to Intel's closest contender as the Core i5 1440F that retails for just under $200.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They are quite close in performance, consumption, price.
    So it mostly depends on AVX-512 where the Ryzen wins.

Comment

Very impressive for AMD, that can match (and beat) the performance of 10 core Intel with 6 cores. I would get the AMD. Thank you Michael!

Comment

Michael

Typo/inconsistent processor naming?

article title:
        "i5-1400f" should be "i5-14400F" ?

page 1"
        "Both the i5-3400F and i5-1400F are 10-core processors" should be "i5-13400F" and "i5-14400F"?

Interesting test results. Great to see "budget" chips perform so well.

Comment

Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
          Michael

Typo/inconsistent processor naming?

article title:
          "i5-1400f" should be "i5-14400F" ?

page 1"
          "Both the i5-3400F and i5-1400F are 10-core processors" should be "i5-13400F" and "i5-14400F"?

Interesting test results. Great to see "budget" chips perform so well.

Thanks, yeah, long day and the Intel Core names getting so long... At least shorter now for MTL+ Thanks!
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronos View Post
            yeah i was surprised with how close they were until the end where the avx 512 supported stuff REALLY curbed stomp the 14400f. intel not adding avx 512 to the e-cores which caused them to disable it on the p cores that actually have support for it was a big mistake. with raptor lake they should have added it.

that said, if i was on a budget i would still grab the 14400 for the igpu, quicksync, and i only really care about software compilation and gaming. avx 512 isn't that big of a concern for me.
            Last edited by fafreeman; 16 May 2024, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Both of these processors are right in the price range that I normally budget for a CPU, namely under $200.

I think I would go with the i5 14400F and pair it with a Arc A380 for $110 and throw in lots of ram.

The 8400F doesn't seem to be a good buy, I would much rather get the 8600G for $200 and use the money I saved on a video card to buy double the ram.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
                Very impressive for AMD, that can match (and beat) the performance of 10 core Intel with 6 cores. I would get the AMD. Thank you Michael!
                Well, it works out like you'd expect. Intel has more cores. AMD has better cores. The Intel part generally wins in multi-threaded tests. The AMD part generally wins in single-threaded tests. AMD slaughters Intel on any tests that use AVX-512. Between these two I'd probably pick the AMD part. I wouldn't be surprised at all by people flipping that for the non "F" SKUs with iGPUs though. There's a niche out there for features like Quick Sync.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronos View Post
                  power draw and heat sucks in Intel

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Well, it works out like you'd expect. Intel has more cores. AMD has better cores. The Intel part generally wins in multi-threaded tests. The AMD part generally wins in single-threaded tests. AMD slaughters Intel on any tests that use AVX-512. Between these two I'd probably pick the AMD part. I wouldn't be surprised at all by people flipping that for the non "F" SKUs with iGPUs though. There's a niche out there for features like Quick Sync.
                    I would be one of those choosing the G variant

Comment

Working...
                    X