Show Your Support: This site is primarily supported by advertisements. Ads are what have allowed this site to be maintained on a daily basis for the past 18+ years. We do our best to ensure only clean, relevant ads are shown, when any nasty ads are detected, we work to remove them ASAP. If you would like to view the site without ads while still supporting our work, please consider our ad-free Phoronix Premium.
ATI Catalyst 10.8 For Linux Brings OpenGL ES 2.0
The ATI Catalyst 10.8 for Linux presents full support for the OpenGL ES 2.0 specification to enable 3D acceleration within web-browsers supporting the GLES 2.0 spec. While this is only now coming to the ATI Catalyst driver, OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0 support has already been within Mesa and Gallium3D for months now that the open-source GPU drivers are able to take advantage of. With Mozilla Firefox 4.0 and other web browsers now beginning to take advantage of the OpenGL ES 2.0 specification, the support for this Khronos API previously only targeted towards embedded/mobile devices is now gaining traction on the desktop.
Besides the Catalyst 10.8 Linux driver offering OpenGL ES 2.0 support there is also production support for SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop / SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 Service Pack 1. In terms of resolved bugs in Catalyst 10.8, it doesn't appear they have yet fixed the show-stopping Unigine Heaven problems for ATI Radeon HD 5000 "Evergreen" series graphics cards, but they have bothered to uselessly fix and note a 6% performance regression for glxgears / fgl_glxgears. Below are their other changes.
- Disabling the primary display in clone/dual-head mode no longer causes Catalyst Control Center not to launch properly after X restart
- Desktop arrangement area no longer appears empty when Catalyst Control Center is relaunched after disabling or hot-unplugging the secondary display
- X-server no longer fails when launching fullscreen OpenGL application with CrossFire enabled and secondary display selected for accelerated display
- Catalyst Control Center will now launch properly under a 2 Gemini ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series multi-adapter configuration
- "Glxgears/fgl_glxgears" full screen application no longer remain on the desktop after they are closed using X button
- 6% performance drop is no longer observed while running fgl_glxgears and glxgears on specific cards
The release notes and download links for the AMD Catalyst 10.8 x86/x86_64 Linux driver can be found within this forum thread.
Gets incredible success in EX0-101 exam using our latest pass4sure 70-648 practice questions; we also offer up-to-dated 312-50 questions and answers with 100% guaranteed success.