Shuttleworth Closes Bug #1, Microsoft's Market Share
Over a thousand responses came to that bug report and it being cited many times since 2004, which came down to "Microsoft has a majority market share in the new desktop PC marketplace. This is a bug which Ubuntu and other projects are meant to fix."
While Microsoft is still controlling the PC market in terms of new PC shipments and still globally Windows being more widely used on desktops than Linux or other operating systems, Mark now feels okay with closing the report. The reasons he expressed in his closing message for the bug report in changing the status to "fix released" include:
- The personal computing market is now more broad than it was in 2004 with phones, tablets, and wearable computing now being out there.
- The broader market is more competitive with Apple iOS and Google Android.
- While Android isn't Mark's favorite choice of Linux, he admits that the open-source platform provides practical and economic benefits to users and the industry.
- A shift has taken place in the industry over the past nine years and Ubuntu has played a role in this change.
- For cloud computing with Microsoft IAAS, they are focused on supporting all operating systems -- Linux guests included -- rather than just Windows.