GIMP 2.99.14 Released As Another Step Toward GIMP 3.0
GIMP 3.0 with switching from the GTK2 to GTK3 tool-kit and a plethora of other improvements remain under development. GIMP 3.0 remains under heavy development as this leading open-source, free software alternative to Adobe Photoshop. With the new GIMP 2.99.14 development release some of the latest advancements include:
- Improving the alignment tool so that it's easier to work and greatly simplified.
- New outline options for the text tool
- All transform tools are now activated automatically.
- Fine tuning GIMP's copy-paste handling.
- A new "gray" theme for The GIMP.
- Much faster XCF saving.
- Vectors/paths now have proper structure within XCF file formats.
- Improved file outputting to PDF, AVIF, Adobe PSD, JPEG XL, and other file format handling enhancements.
As for when GIMP 3.0 will finally happen, the release announcement mentions:
"With this release, we are really approaching GIMP 3.0 release, as can be seen from the roadmap of 3.0 where most items are “nearly done” or “done”. We are clearly reaching this part of development when we start targetting specific pain points, which means a lot."
Maybe we'll finally see GIMP 3.0 in 2023?
GIMP.org shows off GIMP 2.99.14's new gray theme.
The GIMP 2.99.14 development announcement along with download links (including Flatpak packages for Linux) can be read on GIMP.org.