No announcement yet.

LGP server ( linuxgamepublishing.com ) down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The servers a joke, they had 1 hard drive, my own websites have backups on my personal computer on two seperate drives, a usb stick and my host has backups as well.

How could they not have backups on their own drives?!

Comment

The End?

Seriously how are they going to get any publisher to trust them after this. Hell they haven't even put up some sort of temporary website even though the website has been down for weeks.

Comment

Hopefully you're wrong... but I have a feeling that LGP won't recover from this one.
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Over a month to get back even an old backup or to put something other than a wall of text up, hasn't even been an update for a while considering they probably have paying customers waiting to use their games.

Sad since it took down happypenguin too.

Comment

The penguin is now officially sad

Comment

Michael any chance you can reach out to LGP to get word about what's going on?

Comment

I think this is the end of LGP.

Please think a little bit more than 5 seconds : how can a company forget to backup critical data ? Personnaly I backup my data every week.

And how can the game developers trust them after that ?

I don't believe what Mickael is saying. They are simply running out of money and cannot sustain such business. If not, they are unprofessionals.

Sad as I was a customer of both LGP and Tuxgames.

Let's hope a company can replace LGP. After RuneSoft and now LGP, Linux lost the two main companies involved in potting windows games to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by duglambier View Post
                  I think this is the end of LGP.

Please think a little bit more than 5 seconds : how can a company forget to backup critical data ? Personnaly I backup my data every week.
                  Ah, but do you test your backups every week? It is much easier for me to believe that LGP's backups failed than they made no backups at all. The failure of the working copy merely exposed the preexisting backup failure.

I'm sure Michael wears many hats. It's easy for something to slip.

And how can the game developers trust them after that ?
                  Why do game developers/ publishers need to trust LGP? Don't they have their money already?

I don't believe what Mickael is saying. They are simply running out of money and cannot sustain such business. If not, they are unprofessionals.

Sad as I was a customer of both LGP and Tuxgames.

Let's hope a company can replace LGP. After RuneSoft and now LGP, Linux lost the two main companies involved in potting windows games to Linux.
                  Please think a little bit more than 5 seconds: is porting Windows games to Linux really a viable buisness? If LGP fails, who will replace them?

Comment

Originally posted by Snickersnack View Post
                    Ah, but do you test your backups every week? It is much easier for me to believe that LGP's backups failed than they made no backups at all. The failure of the working copy merely exposed the preexisting backup failure.

I'm sure Michael wears many hats. It's easy for something to slip.
                    Yes, it would be. Lord only knows it's happened to me a time or two of late... The only concern here is the EXTREME time it took to get his stuff back up and running. It doesn't instill confidence in his DRM solution, the matchmaker service (PenguinPlay...), TuxGames, and anything else he might be doing. Not to be putting him down (I'm not...)- it doesn't help the situation any to be effectively dead in the water for everything for almost 3 months now.

Why do game developers/ publishers need to trust LGP? Don't they have their money already?
                    Heh... You don't understand how the industry works. They ask for money, yes- but they also want a reasonable assurance that the company in question will be around for at least a smidge. As I said above, this doesn't instill confidence in that front.

Please think a little bit more than 5 seconds: is porting Windows games to Linux really a viable buisness? If LGP fails, who will replace them?
                    I don't know if it's a viable business yet. The jury's still out on it- I will say it's not paying the bills and won't be for a bit yet to come in my case. I have, however, seen money as a result of it...enough to buy a new computer out of the whole deal. So, it's a net positive.

As for who will replace them if they did shutter their doors...I suppose I'd be one of the people to step forward on things there. I'm just not going to follow the old model of production though- that's part of where the problems begin with porting businesses. Up-front royalties are where part of the problems with everything lies. It's part of what causes those "high" prices for ported titles.

Comment

The problem i see is that many ported games are so old that you can get the original very cheap for Win. Best is definitely a Linux release the same time or not too long after the Win release. I personally do not get why somebody should buy a game twice for Win and later for Linux just to get the binary to run it. A patch released later like for Quake or Prey is a nice addon however.

Comment

Working...
                      X