780g thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 780g thread

I'll post a bit of info here as i get home.

forum1793
    Could you please check whether you would be able to get sound over HDMI with vesa/radeonhd driver?

Originally posted by gsmd View Post
    Could you please check whether you would be able to get sound over HDMI with vesa/radeonhd driver?
    I had to rmmod fglrx and rename it. I also rmmod agpgart.

I was not able to get sound out of hdmi running radeon or radeonhd. I didn't see vesa as a module (it must be automatically part of kernel as there were no kernel options regarding it). I made xorg.conf use the vesa and X came up. No sound over hdmi in that either.

In all three cases I can no longer get sound out of front headphones but it is working over optical cable well in all cases.

So it appears fglrx must be loaded to get sound over hdmi.

I thought it might have been solely due to the kernel. When bulding this one in make xconfig
    Device Drivers
    -Sound
    --ALSA
    ---PCI Devices
    ----M for Intel HD Audio
    ------X for Build Realtek HD-audio codec support
    ------X for Build ATI HDMI HD-audio codec support
    ------X for Enable generic HD-audio codec parser

I chose these, realtek because mboard says has realtek azalia; ATI hdmi for obvious reasons, and generic just in case needed.

I'm guessing now you need these AND fglrx for sound out of hdmi.

Comment

There is a branch in radeonhd (HDMI-Audio) with an experimental patch to enable audio. The branch was created a couple of weeks ago before we pushed the last round of acceleration code but it might be worth a try.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        There is a branch in radeonhd (HDMI-Audio) with an experimental patch to enable audio. The branch was created a couple of weeks ago before we pushed the last round of acceleration code but it might be worth a try.
        Please see new thread on the open driver side entitled "HDMI Audio" for the branch of this discussion on the radeonhd.

Continue this thread for hdmi audio with the proprietary fglrx driver.
        Last edited by forum1793; 03 August 2008, 09:15 AM. Reason: Clarify scope of branch

Comment

Sorry for not editing the first post, i've just quit attempts to make a vdr htpc out of my amd 780g linux box:
          1) no hardware acceleration for video decoding: can't play fullhd videos on 4450e
          2) still can't get sound over hdmi (call me stupid)
          3) xineliboutput keeps crashing time to time even when running opengl
          4) mythtv is trash, vdr won't even show osd after gentoo reinstall, no idea why

Did fight the damned thing for about a month, sick of it. The plan is to install Vista MCE with gentoo running under vmware (as i still need linux for my dev/asterisk/etc. server).

Anyways, forum1793, thanks for ur help. Amd linux devs, keep it rolling. I'll come back probably in a year to see what you were able to achieve. At the moment amd linux graphics support is pretty much broken.
          Last edited by gsmd; 06 August 2008, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X