Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Vulkan Gaming Getting Closer To RadeonSI OpenGL Performance

Phoronix: RADV Vulkan Gaming Getting Closer To RadeonSI OpenGL Performance

With the Mesa-based RADV Vulkan driver having just landed a significant performance optimization you may be wondering whether RADV Vulkan now leads to faster gaming frame-rates than using the mature RadeonSI OpenGL driver... I was curious so I ran some fresh benchmarks using the newest Mesa Git code.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i dont know what to think about these tests since on my radeon 7770 (i know prehistoric GPU) i get very smooth gameplay in dota 2 on radv whereas on radeonsi it is barely playable..

Comment

Michael, it's holiday! Why don't you visit friends or family? We're busy with our beloved anyways. (;

Comment

Originally posted by paupav View Post
        i dont know what to think about these tests since on my radeon 7770 (i know prehistoric GPU) i get very smooth gameplay in dota 2 on radv whereas on radeonsi it is barely playable..
        The CPU might play a greater role here. I recommend at least quad-core CPUs for radeonsi.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post

The CPU might play a greater role here. I recommend at least quad-core CPUs for radeonsi.
          Exactly what I have observed, radeonsi seems to really benefit from 4+ cores.
          Vulkan will shine a lot more with weak cpus.
          In GPU bound scenarios, I guess both games' and drivers' vulkan codepaths are still not as refined as opengl ones.

Comment

I have the same GPU. Try AMDGPU + MESA (Vulkan compiling flags required) and running DOTA2 with '-vulkan' as a Steam launch parameter.

Comment

the whole reason for vulkan was to help in cpu-bound scenarios
              and the only two tests which seem to be cpu-bound here are dota 1080p and one of mad maxes
              and it didn't help in those tests

Comment

on my radeon 7770 (i know prehistoric GPU)
                probably paired with prehistoric cpu

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post

I have quad core CPU (2.4 GHz hah)

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    the whole reason for vulkan was to help in cpu-bound scenarios
                    and the only two tests which seem to be cpu-bound here are dota 1080p and one of mad maxes
                    and it didn't help in those tests
                    The Vulkan API *allows* apps to be written in a way that reduces single-threaded-ness but doesn't *require* it.

It does generally reduce CPU overhead, but even if the Vulkan app has half the CPU load of a comparable OpenGL app it is still likely to end up CPU-bound if the bulk of the work is single threaded.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X