Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender 2.8 Is Coming In 2018 With Huge Improvements

Phoronix: Blender 2.8 Is Coming In 2018 With Huge Improvements

Developers behind the Blender 3D modeling software have shared a "Christmas update" about their ongoing work towards Blender 2.8 as the next major release for this open-source, cross-platform modeling software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was a huge fan of LightWave 3D but all the "plugins" started to freak me out. Blender is very nice and give great rendering results, but it is hard to learn. What I think is most irritating with blender is that all the toolset change so much between rendering engines. It is like having a different 3D modeller/renderer within itself.
    Navigation in blender is also absolute crap. Learn from LightWave3D - nagivating around the viewport there is a breeeeeeeeeze. Blender absolutely horrific and because I wanted to learn it I had to purchase a 3D "mouse" from 3DCONNEXION (Spacenavigator, using the spacenavd package in Debian).
    So while Blender in many ways is fun and very easy to model things in it is not always intuitive to use. Hope the update address some of those things as well.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
      I was a huge fan of LightWave 3D but all the "plugins" started to freak me out. Blender is very nice and give great rendering results, but it is hard to learn. What I think is most irritating with blender is that all the toolset change so much between rendering engines. It is like having a different 3D modeller/renderer within itself.
      Navigation in blender is also absolute crap. Learn from LightWave3D - nagivating around the viewport there is a breeeeeeeeeze. Blender absolutely horrific and because I wanted to learn it I had to purchase a 3D "mouse" from 3DCONNEXION (Spacenavigator, using the spacenavd package in Debian).
      So while Blender in many ways is fun and very easy to model things in it is not always intuitive to use. Hope the update address some of those things as well.
      Right... It is not like my favorite xyz software, so it sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post

Right... It is not like my favorite xyz software, so it sucks!
        Absolutely not. Blender kicks ass - I enjoy using it. it is just that a few things are very non-intuitive. I would not go back to Lightwave3D at all. I like Blender better already not only because I think it is superior, but also because it is open source and that is the way to go in my opinion

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

I should learn Blender, though it has a learning curve

Comment

How about the interface?
            • Multi-window is not supported
            • The collections have a new design yet to be implemented
            • Workspace doesn’t have modes as originally intended
            • Scene and workspace engines settings need to fit side-by-side
            • Top bar and workspace specific keymaps and add-ons are postponed targets
            • Manipulators and tools are also postponed but will be around as an API for add-ons

Oops! Yeah that's a propblem, expecially the Menu and Multi-window support. It guarantees people won't jump on 2.8 until it's in and not rough. The Manipulators and tools another reason people won't touch it yet.

And it is buggy as hell.

Comment

Typo in short description I didn't notice:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Bleder 2.8 -

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                From memory, 2.8 will introduce UI "presets" that will remove lots of the clutter and show only the tools that you need for a particular workflow (or everything if you still prefer that). There will be some other minor UI changes as well, but they're keeping the overall look and feel introduced in 2.5.

Comment

Does anyone know if they are implementing the multithread render script for video editing? That would be the single biggest triumph (aside from GPU acceleration) from my perspective for blender.

Comment

Multithreaded vse rendering would be good, since currently you have to rely on closing blender and running a php/python script which launches a couple of blender instances rendering everything and then stitching the frames into one file.

Comment

Working...
                    X