Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remaining RADV Vulkan Driver Bugs for Vega Being Addressed

Phoronix: Remaining RADV Vulkan Driver Bugs for Vega Being Addressed

Open-source graphics driver contributor for Valve, Samuel Pitoiset, has been working on clearing up some remaining issues with the RADV Vulkan driver's support for the RX Vega graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Possible typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    due to biggy LLVM instructions being generated.

Comment

Thanks Samuel!

This is getting annoying now. I've been trying to run Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus under Wine using RADV. It can't be done right now (tested on a Fury X), as the graphics corruption make the game unplayable in some areas. For AMD GPU hardware owners, the only way to play is with AMDGPU Pro proprietary drivers. For now at least (as I see David has been looking into the situation).

I thought we were past the days of needing AMDGPU Pro for gaming. Particularly so with Dying Light working amazingly well under Mesa these days with surprisingly excellent performance - something I previously gave up on ever seeing on non-Nvidia hardware. But now we're seeing a number of Vulkan-only games getting released that aren't working right, and the promised code which was going to fix everything for users of the free software stack is nowhere in sight.

If it weren't for people like David (at RedHat) and Samuel (at Valve), AMD users would be completely screwed right now. Has there been any official word from AMD to explain what is going on?

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
        if it weren't for people like David (at RedHat) and Samuel (at Valve), AMD users would be completely screwed right now. Has there been any official word from AMD to explain what is going on?
        Well AMD does not officially support Vulkan on Linux outside of the workstation driver limited to some very specific distros and kernels.

They are not going to comment on RadV.

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
          Particularly so with Dying Light working amazingly well under Mesa these days
          That's actually not the case, you'll find plenty of reports of people completely unable to play this, even if on mesa-dev.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

That's actually not the case, you'll find plenty of reports of people completely unable to play this, even if on mesa-dev.
            I'm one of them, refuses to play with mesa on Antergos regardless for mesa version. A friend of mine spent hours trying to work out why as it works in Ubuntu fine. Even pulled the source ect from the ubuntu package and compiled with same flags. Still didn't work.

Comment

Thanks Samuel!

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Citation needed. I just ran some tests against my older Mesa builds. A build from Oct 21 showed very poor performance, and a build from Nov 18 had the fix. The 17.2.6 stable release (tagged Nov 26) and even 17.3.0-rc6 (which I built and tested just now) does *not* have the fix - so only recent builds against mesa-dev can play it.

I only discovered this last week - I get between 38 and 60 FPS with all video settings on and maxed out (except vertical synchronization obviously, as well as ambient occlusion due to a graphics corruption bug related to that option) at 2560x1440 on my Fury X. A couple of months ago I'd be lucky to get 25 FPS on average (with the minimum video settings and 1280x720), which is basically unplayable for this type of game. I intend to finally (finally!) complete the campaign over the upcoming holidays.

You might remember that I was quite vocal here about how disappointed I was, first when it wouldn't run (back when everyone thought it required compatibility profiles), and then about the performance when it did finally run. I was posting to the bug report on bugs.freedesktop.org last year. I know all about the history of this game and what a nightmare it has been up until now.

Comment

I just tested under Ubuntu 16.04.3 with AMDGPU Pro 17.40. 1 FPS! That's worse than a Mesa build from early October. I then turned off a bunch of video settings such as anti aliasing, film grain, motion blur etc. Basically the stuff I normally switch off when I want to actually play and am not just benchmark. Still at 2560x1440. I was able to get up to about 13 FPS then.

Originally posted by pete910 View Post
                  I'm one of them, refuses to play with mesa on Antergos regardless for mesa version. A friend of mine spent hours trying to work out why as it works in Ubuntu fine. Even pulled the source ect from the ubuntu package and compiled with same flags. Still didn't work.
                  I'm assuming the Ubuntu install was using a PPA with mesa-dev builds.

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

Same on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.

Comment

Working...
                    X