Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 28 Looks To Improve The Initial Setup Process

Phoronix: Fedora 28 Looks To Improve The Initial Setup Process

One of many improvements being planned for next year's Fedora Workstation 28 release is to improve the initial setup process...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was quite pleasantly surprised by how well does Puppy linux do this out of the box. It's so ugly that even it's own mother wouldn't love it, but damn, it's functional.

Comment

Their *new* GUI installer turned out weird AF. Hopefully those people don't work on this.

Comment

I got to like anaconda, It does have some very minor shortcomings, but for me, (my 5 disk system, and distributed files, anaconda works as one wishes).
        The only difference would be to incorporate an installation script. Batch the installation and post boot tasks thereafter.

Comment

What in the world are the Fedora developers thinking? Do they think that everyone uses GNOME? Some of us use KDE and MATE, to name two alternatives to Gnome.
          Eliminate the features in Gnome, and transplant them to anaconda. Do not go the other way.

I only do network installations. I use anaconda with a Fedora Remix. That remix includes rpmfusion and the option to install other free but non-foss software (eg, viper, telegram, Cisco...).
          There is more to Fedora than Gnome. I find KDE to be a superb alternative to Gnome, and unlike gnome-shell, current KDE Plasma does not crash.

Anaconda is a great design. It needs very little extra features and some cosmetic changes. Stop replacing a good design for the sake of changing. And most of all, stop the dependency on Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by lsatenstein View Post
            What in the world are the Fedora developers thinking? Do they think that everyone uses GNOME? Some of us use KDE and MATE, to name two alternatives to Gnome.
            Eliminate the features in Gnome, and transplant them to anaconda. Do not go the other way.

I only do network installations. I use anaconda with a Fedora Remix. That remix includes rpmfusion and the option to install other free but non-foss software (eg, viper, telegram, Cisco...).
            There is more to Fedora than Gnome. I find KDE to be a superb alternative to Gnome, and unlike gnome-shell, current KDE Plasma does not crash.

Anaconda is a great design. It needs very little extra features and some cosmetic changes. Stop replacing a good design for the sake of changing. And most of all, stop the dependency on Gnome.
            I reccomend reading the actual Fedora Change description - it says:

Firstly, please note that the effects of this change will be restricted to Fedora Workstation.
            Installation media for other variants will not be affected - unless the corresponding Special Interest Groups start a similar initiative - as the non-Workstation media will not contain the special configuration file telling Anaconda to hide some of it's screens.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              Their *new* GUI installer turned out weird AF. Hopefully those people don't work on this.
              There's a replacement for anaconda? It sounds like most comments here are to criticize reliance on Gnome in Fedora, and in Anaconda more specifically. I thought that was just using the GTK3 toolkit for UI, tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by azdaha View Post

There's a replacement for anaconda? It sounds like most comments here are to criticize reliance on Gnome in Fedora, and in Anaconda more specifically. I thought that was just using the GTK3 toolkit for UI, tbh.
                The mention Puppy Linux installer for some reason, so maybe that mean that ? The current hub-and-spoke GTK3 based Anaconda UI is hardly new, being first introduced back in Fedora 18, more than 5 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                X