Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Many Open-Source Radeon Linux Driver Advancements Of 2017

Phoronix: The Many Open-Source Radeon Linux Driver Advancements Of 2017

There were many sizable open-source Radeon Linux driver accomplishments this year. It was this year in which the RadeonSI OpenGL driver matured enough to compete with -- and sometimes surpass -- the Radeon Windows driver when talking raw OpenGL performance, RadeonSI can also outperform the AMDGPU-PRO OpenGL hybrid driver in many Linux gaming tests, the RADV Vulkan driver matured a lot, and many other milestones were reached...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm still waiting on the day when google chrome on maps.google.com allows you to select the 3d view. this is only working for me on intel drivers and not amd drivers. that is chrome do not even display the option when I'm using radeon.

Comment

Indeed, the progress of AMDs open source drivers 2017 was substantial, and even impressive, with regards to adding features. Now the one major thing missing is stability and bug fixing. Today, the driver is certainly suitable for entertainment systems. For running a system doing serious work 24/7, not quite.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        Those who have problems with amd open source driver lack knowledge.
        That is a totally unfounded allegation. I personally worked on X11 drivers in the 1990s. "Lack of knowledge" is certainly not the reason why I am having problems with the instability of "amdgpu" as of today.

With open source software you should use a often updating rolling release distribution, developer repository drivers and make bug reports.
        I do all of this - I run an up-to-date Arch Linux release, and use kernels compiled from amd-staging-drm-next. However, that does not keep me from experiencing crashes, like the ones I reported in https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102322 or https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103277

Once you have a stable system run it for 24/7/365. When having problems, simply update your system.
        There is no magic update wand removing bugs from driver software. It is tedious work to debug software, not quite as much fun as adding features. And yet, with a list of unresolved bugs as long as https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist...resolution=--- I would hope that bug fixing could be made more of a priority.

Comment

you are destroying your components in the sleep mode. Soon your power feeding capacitors look like this and the pc psu and monitor does not work anymore
          I don't know what weird sources you got such rumors from, but no, S3 sleep does not destroy capacitors. Where "swollen"/"leaking" capacitors were found in the past, that was usually the result of manufacturers using low-quality or counterfeit low-ESR capacitors.

Comment

Only on a Linux forum can an awesome summary of the massive hours dedicated to an open source approach to an intricately-complex modern graphics stack and drivers devolve into an argument that includes washing machines in a mere 8 posts. Well done, well done. Image already added

Comment

You sound like my wife who says that it is not allowed to take examples from other device that uses a switched mode power supply. Mixing things is strictly forbidden, she and you says.
              @debianxfce

Are you considering divorce and put her in communication with BangoMopar? It may be a win-win situation!

Comment

Working...
              X