Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.15 Adds AMD Raven Ridge Audio ID

Phoronix: Linux 4.15 Adds AMD Raven Ridge Audio ID

Not only is AMD Stoney Ridge audio (finally) being supported by the Linux 4.15 kernel, but it also looks like Raven Ridge audio should now be working too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally and after years of effort, AMD hardware is becoming a first citizen on Linux.

I might consider my next hardware to be AMD, but I'm worried about that weird agreement with Intel...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Finally and after years of effort, AMD hardware is becoming a first citizen on Linux.

I might consider my next hardware to be AMD, but I'm worried about that weird agreement with Intel...
      Why? It's pretty much same thing as AMD selling chips to MS or Sony.

Comment

What does one thing has to do with the other?
        AMD's hardware makes more sense right now, but there will always be fanboys and mindless sheep that buy Intel no matter what. So might as well tap a bit into that market.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

What does one thing has to do with the other?
          AMD's hardware makes more sense right now, but there will always be fanboys and mindless sheep that buy Intel no matter what. So might as well tap a bit into that market.
          Do you rally believe Intel big brains are so stupid to give lunch to AMD without a really machiavelic reason?

Comment

Do you rally believe Intel big brains are so stupid to give lunch to AMD without a really machiavelic reason?
            You're overestimating them.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              You're overestimating them.
              Are you sure? I don't think so. Despite so many competitors over years, most of them are dead or in very niche markets (like VIA): Intel still dominates most of the X86 market and it's pushing it to other areas outside of the traditional personal computing usage.

I think you are underestimating them

Comment

Are you sure?
                Yes. They were first into their niche (they created it themselves) and then Intel + Microsoft rode the same "monopoly" horse. It's just a matter of getting the ball rolling years before anyone showed up. Once they show up you have a so large lead that they can't catch you.

It's not skill, just good timing (or luck), if you want to see how good they are, look at when they try to expand in new markets (like the failure in mobile, and the meh-level they are in the microcontroller-based IoT market).

Despite so many competitors over years
                Your definition of "so many" needs checking. It's only VIA and AMD. VIA was cornering the low-power market (also AMD) where Intel didn't really care when they were pushing on raw power. Once Intel focused again in low-power stuff, VIA disappeared as it could not really compete, and AMD's only saving grace in embedded was their better GPU (for a while).

Then when AMD actually threatened them (somehow) they resorted to petty marketing tactics (i.e. subsidize OEMs) just because they had large cash reserves to do just that.

I think you are underestimating them
                No I'm not. I just know they need to keep AMD alive for the sake of showing they are not a monopoly, so they throw them a bone every now and then. They played this game for a long time.

Comment

Their reason is to keep Apple using Intel CPUs rather than having them look at switching to Ryzen. I'm not sure why that bit of business would cause you to not look at AMD hardware.

Comment

Of course not. But whatever Intel was planning is all in the clear now, as they waited until after the deal was closed to announce the following:
                    • Hiring AMD's Raja Koduri
                    • Start working on their own graphics chips
                    This is what Intel had hidden under their sleeve, but i don't expect any (more) surprises...

Comment

Working...
                    X