Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 43 More AMDGPU DC Patches Hit The Streets

Phoronix: 43 More AMDGPU DC Patches Hit The Streets

While the massive AMDGPU DC infrastructure has been merged for Linux 4.15, the flow of improvements to this display code continues and it looks like the next few kernel cycles at least could be quite busy on the AMD front...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seems to work fine here on a RX460 (Polaris11). 4K DP monitor with audio.

Comment

so far I have come across a few of issues, some minor, some medium.

1) when sddm loads on neon it has a non blank buffer display before the login screen appears (i.e. I get a flash of random static before display loads).
      2) if KDE turns the monitor off (power saving) it does not turn back on. Restarting sddm via ssh gets the display working again
      3) this could be more a kernel issue - but I have had a complete system lock up

those issues aside, things are working well so far for this pre rc1 kernel. even been gaming successfully

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
        so far I have come across a few of issues, some minor, some medium.

1) when sddm loads on neon it has a non blank buffer display before the login screen appears (i.e. I get a flash of random static before display loads).
        2) if KDE turns the monitor off (power saving) it does not turn back on. Restarting sddm via ssh gets the display working again
        3) this could be more a kernel issue - but I have had a complete system lock up

those issues aside, things are working well so far for this pre rc1 kernel. even been gaming successfully
        If have issue 2 on my RX480 only on Plasma-Wayland. Do you have this on X11 too?
        I have on my Ryzen system random freezes as well quite often. What kind of CPU do you use?

Comment

I hope they can fix the regression isssue with Fury/Vega cards....

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
            And this doesn't happen with DC disabled?

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            I hope they can fix the regression isssue with Fury/Vega cards....
            What regression? If you mean the performance regression, that's not related to DC but to per-VM BOs.

Comment

So whats needed for freesync then after the DC has been sorted ?

Comment

Vendor-independent code in the upstream X driver, or in the short term the X driver from AMDGPU-PRO.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

And this doesn't happen with DC disabled?
                  The screen doesn't turn on with it disabled - it's a vega card

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

If have issue 2 on my RX480 only on Plasma-Wayland. Do you have this on X11 too?
                    I have on my Ryzen system random freezes as well quite often. What kind of CPU do you use?
                    yes, on X11 and I have the Ryzen 1700 on an ASUS PRIME X370 PRO board with 32gb 2666mhz corsair vengance ram.
                    For me Linux has been rock solid and windows has not. that said, the 1201 bios i think might have helped massively with system stability.

Comment

Working...
                    X