Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Polaris Firmware Blobs Hit Linux-Firmware.Git

Phoronix: New Polaris Firmware Blobs Hit Linux-Firmware.Git

Updated firmware files for the command processor (CP) on AMD Polaris graphics cards have landed in linux-firmware.git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also some new GUC blobs for i915

Comment

Can anyone confirm if the new firmware adds proper Polaris HDMI audio support on 4.15+? Currently only the legacy audio formats (PCM and low-bitrate surround formats) are supported by the current DC in Linux 4.15, but I have not tried the new firmware yet. With the old firmware I could never get any current audio format (TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, ...) to work yet on my RX480.

Comment

direx
        Tried the firmwares on latest ubuntu-mainline kernel. Is not ok for me. Couldn't get the sound working right with kodi or mpv over hdmi. Don't know where the problem is.

-Passhtrough bitstream of HD formats doesn't work?
        -the sound quality gets bad and worsen when there's "much data" on the hdmi, even worse when hardware video decode is enabled (putting 6 channels on hdmi makes more noise than audio than only a stereo track with cpu decoded video)? Video is always perfect, and this hdmi cable is fine.

Are there people that use RX4xx cards as HTPC-linux card succesfully?

Comment

I have xfx rx 480. I am using linux-staging-amd kernel AUR.

I have to switch the output device off hdmi and back in pulse audio volume control or gnome control center. hdmi audio works fine for me.

Comment

Does anyone tried to disassemble those blobs? Specially the Intel one, I hate it

Comment

Originally posted by direx View Post
              Can anyone confirm if the new firmware adds proper Polaris HDMI audio support on 4.15+? Currently only the legacy audio formats (PCM and low-bitrate surround formats) are supported by the current DC in Linux 4.15, but I have not tried the new firmware yet. With the old firmware I could never get any current audio format (TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, ...) to work yet on my RX480.
              The microcode is much lower level than anything like audio processing... it just processes commands like writing values to registers, flushing caches, initiating the drawing of a triangle strip or waiting for drawing to finish.
              Test signature

Comment

I've found these concerning audio for amdgpus:
                https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75064 (i still have to test if this solves my noise problem)
                https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101900 (no HD codec support for amdgpu yet) ) linked to https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196637

So no HD-audio codec fun on RXxxx yet

Comment

Originally posted by direx View Post
                  FYI, on TumbleWeed latest, Kernel HEAD (4.15-RC1), HDMI audio works great, Polaris 21 (RX560). My case, I needed to manually update the firmware blobs (Polaris11 bins), mkinitrd, amdgpu.dc=1. But, I've only tested 5.1/7.1 PCM (88.2/96kHz) as my audio player (JRiver MediaCenter) handles all decoding/resampling/DSP.

Comment

I finally made all my tests, with a second computer:
                    - passthrough works perfectly with my RX-Vega card (except TrueHD&dts-HD). Perfect sound.
                    - sound over hdmi doesn't work correctly on my sapphire rx480, on 2 different PCs, so there is a problem with the card or software (driver underclocking? interrupt?), dunno, but sound is noisy as hell. I'm now sure it's card related

Comment

Working...
                    X