Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumina 1.4 Desktop Environment Released

Phoronix: Lumina 1.4 Desktop Environment Released

The TrueOS BSD folks working on their Qt5-powered Lumina Desktop Environment have issued a new feature update of their open-source desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNOME Qt. :P

Comment

They should rename it to Terrible Desktop or Ugly Desktop.

Comment

Perhaps Gnome 3 should have so we can all just stick with the official Gnome 2 and stop fscking around.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I agree that they should improve the default look, but you have to admit that they're doing a great job on keeping it lightweight and performant. The whole desktop (including X and whatnot) uses less than 250 MB on Linux. That's pretty lightweight for a full-blown dekstop. Yes, Enlightenment is more lightweight and Xfce is maybe up to par, but there are more resource-hungry desktops than this. And now quite a few of their apps have multi-threading support for even more performance, so that's also a good thing.

Comment

If you can do better, feel free to send them PR's with graphics improvements. If you can't, needling them about it is rather low. Coders usually are not graphics designers

Comment

Damn, am I the only one that finds it cool?

Comment

I mean you looked at the screenshots right? It's really not that bad anymore. It doesn't look great but it's on par with where the other lightweight desktops are. I won't be leaving KDE for it anytime soon, but it's been a while since it deserved those titles.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Damn, am I the only one that finds it cool?
                  Okay, I'll bite. What in particular interests you about it? I mean it's nice that FreeBSD has a decent native desktop now, but beyond that use case it's just Yet Another Lightweight Desktop Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    Okay, I'll bite. What in particular interests you about it?
                    I said "cool" in the sense of "visually looks good", which is probably a personal opinion.

Transparency done decently, modern minimalist icons for its own stuff, minimal without looking like pixelated crap as for example LXDE. And it does not have the "look at me! I'm a 90s embedded crap UI!" feel that Enlightenment always had.

Comment

Working...
                    X