Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Calc Is Finally Being Threaded

Phoronix: LibreOffice Calc Is Finally Being Threaded

While LibreOffice Calc for a while now has been offering OpenCL support for speeding up spreadsheet computations, with not all drivers/GPUs supporting OpenCL, this Microsoft Office alternative is finally receiving proper multi-threading support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not up to par with how and why they implemented OpenCL first but given my experience with GPGPU I find that curious. OpenCL should be harder to implement than regular multi-threading, specially if using OpenMP. I don't know why they chose to go with OpenCL first.

Comment

As long as it works, good job.

Comment

Only Calc? I find LibreOffice to be slow when moving around large shapes or photos, or when you have a lot of them in a presentation file. I wonder if that's due to a lack of multithreading...

Comment

just hope they also remove all java code from Libreoffice, this will also help make things faster

Comment

With me OpenCL in Calc is broken, even on Windows, last time I checked.

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
              Only Calc? I find LibreOffice to be slow when moving around large shapes or photos, or when you have a lot of them in a presentation file. I wonder if that's due to a lack of multithreading...
              I think there is already some degree of threading in those cases, this is specifically referring to threading the spreadsheet expression interpreter. What you're seeing is just a performance issue with that specific use case, there's no reason threading should even be required to perform a direct interaction with an object like that without dropping frames.

Comment

Since I updated to version 5.4.3.2, it's almost impossible to use calc, it is hanging when I do simple operations with csv files, like selecting 3 columns do delete them on 100k lines files, which I could do easily on ~500k lines files before

Comment

Originally posted by dante View Post
                  just hope they also remove all java code from Libreoffice, this will also help make things faster
                  There are Java only in Base now

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
                    No, it's not due to lack of multi-threading.

Comment

Working...
                    X