Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Impact Of HDD/SSD Performance On Linux Gaming

Phoronix: The Impact Of HDD/SSD Performance On Linux Gaming

Last week we presented our initial benchmarks of the Intel Optane SSD 900P on Linux and it offers mighty performance potential for those using I/O heavy workloads thanks to the use of 3D XPoint memory. But is a solid-state drive like this really worth the price if you are just a Linux gamer? Here are some tests comparing load times and boot times between a HDD, SATA 3.0 SSD, NVMe SSD, and this 3D XPoint NVMe U.2 SSD.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not much of a big surprise but it's good to see real numbers.

Comment

39 seconds boot time on a ssd, thats awful!!
      my system with a 850 evo ssd boots in ~10 seconds
      Last edited by davidbepo; 21 November 2017, 11:16 AM. Reason: corrected number

Comment

Comparing against WD Green seems to be unfair, AFAIR these weren't supposed to be fast (I have two of these, several years old).

Comment

I know for sure, in the case of Metro games, since I finished Last Light several times, that a SSD provides a level load much, much faster than a HDD, like the load screen shows up and it's done (2s max), while on a mechanical disc it takes several seconds.

Other games also benefit from a SSD, but where the difference is not that big, I put then on a HDD, since I like to have all my Steam library (about 139 games) available at all times, and a 2TB disk is more than enough for them and a small Windows partition for my old games that are not available on Linux (like Crysis).

Comment

Of course you hadn't loaded the games once already to get the files cached in RAM, and that's why there was no difference with some of the load times with some of the games, right?

Comment

That was useful. Thank you, Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                39 seconds boot time on a ssd, thats awful!!
                my system with a 850 evo ssd boots in ~10 seconds
                I know, right? My laptop has a pretty slow SSD compared to a lot of others but Solus still boots in ~10 seconds usually. So something must've been wrong with Michael's SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I know, right? My laptop has a pretty slow SSD compared to a lot of others but Solus still boots in ~10 seconds usually. So something must've been wrong with Michael's SSD.
                  Maybe Ubuntu? Wrong setup? Here we have two desktop PCs with Samsung 850 EVO SSDs and a laptop with a 840 EVO; all of them boot in less than 10 sec.
                  This is from one PC with openSUSE:
                  Code:
                  Startup finished in 2.960s (kernel) + 1.164s (initrd) + 4.605s (userspace) = 8.730s
                  Funny thing is that the headline says: "... Performance On Linux Gaming" (Emphasis added).

Comment

From my gaming I know that ssd makes a world of difference over hdd when playing Torchlight 2. That game's level loading times are serious.

Comment

Working...
                    X