Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R600 Gallium3D Picks Up Another OpenGL 4.5 Extension

Phoronix: R600 Gallium3D Picks Up Another OpenGL 4.5 Extension

Just days after David Airlie landed R600g image shader support and other patches for this Radeon HD 2000 through HD 6000 series open-source driver, he's enabled support for another GL4 extension...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's very nice to see these extensions getting crossed off!

I'm currently rocking (for the moment) a Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity Edition in my desktop since all my most powerful GPUs are temporarily used for other purposes. My 5870 was driving six 1920x1200 monitors 24x7 at my workplace up until a few months ago - which I only swapped out because I upgraded to 4K monitors which the card could not drive at 60Hz. Before that, I had purchased the card from someone who used it for mining. It's been through hell but has never given me any problems.

Wikipedia says this card was released back in 2010. To put its age into perspective, the card has ATI Radeon written over the top in large text.

So I was very happy with the OpenGL version bump to 4.2 the other day. This card is now significantly more useful. Big shout out to David for his efforts!

Comment

Though I don't own any R600 hardware and don't intend to, this is the kind of stuff that excites me and what I personally appreciate and value most of David. Anything to cross off a finite checklist is a big win IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        since not many anyways make use of FP64
        To be more precise, no linux game exists that would use it.

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
          So I was very happy with the OpenGL version bump to 4.2 the other day. This card is now significantly more useful. Big shout out to David for his efforts!
          Yes, indeed! Thanks for making such a good job, David et. al! By the way, is the 7950 1st Gen also affected by the r600 commits? I don't think so but I'm not sure. I know it's by default using radeonsi over AMDGPU...

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
            Yes, indeed! Thanks for making such a good job, David et. al! By the way, is the 7950 1st Gen also affected by the r600 commits? I don't think so but I'm not sure. I know it's by default using radeonsi over AMDGPU...
            HD 7000 series (at least for desktop cards) is all GCN parts and thus only using RadeonSI, not R600g.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              HD 7000 series (at least for desktop cards) is all GCN parts and thus only using RadeonSI, not R600g.
              Actually, there are quite a few low and middle(ish)-end cards on HD 7000 series that are TeraScale, but they were sold to OEMs only. Those high-end cards like the HD 7950 are GCN of course.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...HD_7000_Series

Comment

Also, in regions like China, AMD sells at retail some rebranded products that are OEM-only in the West.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  Also, in regions like China, AMD sells at retail some rebranded products that are OEM-only in the West.
                  OEM stuff is something that is often found in second hand markets and 7000 series is now in the age that ends up there.

Comment

R600 stuff is what I have and as I am not employed I can't afford to throw it out. Glad to see it still being worked on. I can tell you that for the FOSS linux games I have, current R600g performance equals or exceeds what Catalyst was able to do in spring 2012 and is open. This has matured very nicely and has continued to gain performance well beyond the time the closed driver (which is big enough to hide almost anything inside) dropped r600. In the end, I suspect these cards are ending up better supported on Linux than they ever were in Windows. Just because better comes out does not mean what you have becomes electronic waste!

I also hope automated power management for Nouveau with the Nvidia Fermi cards gets working, as I have three small fermi cards that would then be good cards too. The overall Mesa driver setup seems to be excellent, and I suspect that for the loads I have results would be comparable to r600. Those cards (same era as my HD5000/6000 stuff) predate the ugly Nvidia signed firmware mess and Nouveau can generate their firmware on the fly (something not even r600 can do). When that gets working I have six rather than three good cards.

Comment

Working...
                    X