Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Ends i686 Package Support Today

Phoronix: Arch Linux Ends i686 Package Support Today

Following the announcement earlier this year of Arch Linux deprecating i686 support, that 32-bit x86 support ends today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am concerned if this move has any implications for multilib?

Comment

Originally posted by turboNOMAD View Post
      I am concerned if this move has any implications for multilib?
      It won't.

Comment

Finally i686 is dead(it won't affect any of the multilib repos)

Comment

I welcome this move, 32 bit is legacy and can be supported by a separate community effort.

Comment

As an Arch user, I also approve of this. For a cutting-edge rolling-release distro, it's oddly stable. Removing i686 ought to help further improve that stability, and, maybe even result in updates to be released faster.

I wonder how many i686 users there actually are. Sucks for anyone still running a P4 or older, but honestly, why bother?

Comment

I remember a conversation if a colleague at work, a couple years ago, she asked me to take a look at her netbook, it was slow and she thought it might have some virus. Turnout the poor Atom (a early model) cannot surf the modern web effortlessly anymore, and opening her Yahoo mail was a exercise of patience.

It come a time we should let old things go, even if they still work fine.

Comment

Even last Pentium 4 generations had amd64 support. Maybe some are still on Bartons, Tualatins, Thunderbirds or even Mendocinos... But there are other distros for them.

Comment

Hopefully this will get more people interested in Arch package maintenance and development.

Comment

Too bad, steam with native runtime depends on many x86 packages, which will be, at best, in AUR

Comment

Working...
                    X