Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7-Way Linux Distribution Comparison On The Intel Core i7 8700K

Phoronix: 7-Way Linux Distribution Comparison On The Intel Core i7 8700K

Our latest benchmarking of Intel's 8th Gen Core "Coffee Lake" processors entailed seeing how well the i7-8700K performs on a variety of modern Linux distributions. Tested for this comparison was Ubuntu 17.10, Antergos 17.10, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Clear Linux, Debian Testing, Solus 3, and Fedora 26.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo...:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Fedora 26 with current updates is at Linux 4.13, GNOME SHell 3.24

Comment

It's pretty impressive that Tumbleweed tends to generally hang with the other distros even though it's the only one that defaults to using the slower Btrfs/XFS combo.

Comment

What is the lscpu or cat /proc/cpuinfo output for this cpu?

Are SHA extensions supported like as in the apollo lake CPU?

Thank you for your help.

Comment

It's good to see Ubuntu no longer trailing behind Debian. I don't know what has changed exactly, but it's looking much better now.

Comment

Originally posted by GraceAsylum View Post
            What is the lscpu or cat /proc/cpuinfo output for this cpu?

Are SHA extensions supported like as in the apollo lake CPU?

Thank you for your help.
            OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

or other system logs: https://openbenchmarking.org/system/...e%20i7%208700K
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Anyone know what happened to OpenSUSE in the Linux compilation test??? Would have been rather interesting given its original (inspired? ) FS defaults and strong showing for PHP compilation.
              Last edited by Dick Palmer; 13 October 2017, 10:29 AM.

Comment

I concur with sdack. It many tests if you take out Clear Linux -- which is simply a testbed and not typical user ready-- then Ubuntu is in the lead or a close second. In those tests where Ubuntu is not either first or second it is in a virtual tie with the other distros which simply means that ALL Linux distros are reaching a point where when they all have pretty much the same versions of Mesa, Linux kernel, DE ( like Gnome ), etc...then the differences in performance, while visible on paper, would be virtually unrecognizable in the real world. I actually think this is a GOOD thing as to me it shows a maturity in the overall Linux ecosystem. Open Source is analogous to the story of "Stone Soup" whereby people contribute to a seemingly inedible base of a stone in water by adding their own mix of vegetables and ingredients which finally turns the inedible base into something delicious. I think what we could be seeing in these tests is evidence that no matter what distro you use the underlying architecture is becoming that delicious soup for all that began with a single stone in a pot of water.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                  I concur with sdack. It many tests if you take out Clear Linux -- which is simply a testbed and not typical user ready-- then Ubuntu is in the lead or a close second. In those tests where Ubuntu is not either first or second it is in a virtual tie with the other distros which simply means that ALL Linux distros are reaching a point where when they all have pretty much the same versions of Mesa, Linux kernel, DE ( like Gnome ), etc...then the differences in performance, while visible on paper, would be virtually unrecognizable in the real world. I actually think this is a GOOD thing as to me it shows a maturity in the overall Linux ecosystem. Open Source is analogous to the story of "Stone Soup" whereby people contribute to a seemingly inedible base of a stone in water by adding their own mix of vegetables and ingredients which finally turns the inedible base into something delicious. I think what we could be seeing in these tests is evidence that no matter what distro you use the underlying architecture is becoming that delicious soup for all that began with a single stone in a pot of water.
                  The question is, my friend, does it beat windows?

Comment

What's Windows ? Seriously....Microsoft is utterly and completely irrelevent for me and has been for a decade. It only survives on the desktop because of user ignorance and inertia. CEO Natella knows this which is why he is shifting EVERYTHING to Azure and subscription based computing. He has closed down all hardware and mobile divisions and the associative services with the exception of Xbox which, mark my words, will be sold off as well before the end of the decade. Linux and Unix rule supercomputing. Linux and Unix rule mainframes. Linux and Unix rule the cloud. Linux and Unix rule mobile ( Android and iOS ) Linux and Unix rule wearables. The ONLY place Microsoft still rules is the desktop and that market has been stagnating and even dropping for years. They're even losing the classroom as it's now Chromebooks, Apple iOS and even BYOP...(Bring Your Own Phone) to school.

So....once again...what's Windows ?

Comment

Working...
                    X