Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More AMD EPYC Processors Arrive For Linux Performance Testing

Phoronix: More AMD EPYC Processors Arrive For Linux Performance Testing

Yesterday a new batch of AMD EPYC processors arrived for testing at Phoronix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pretty cool they sent you so many samples. Too bad you don't have enough motherboards to fit them all - must make testing real tedious.

I figure the 7251 would be very appealing to people with heavy GPU workloads. I'm a bit surprised that it's actually cheaper than the 1900X, despite the extra PCIe lanes and memory channels (and cache, maybe?). However, it doesn't OC, the frequencies are substantially lower, and has worse memory support.

With 128 PCIe lanes, you could have a pretty hardcore GPU-based server. You could in theory have 16 slots with x8 lanes each. A CPU like the 7251 ought to handle that pretty well.

Comment

This would be nice:

Would be interesting to see the performance impact of encryption on both Intel and AMD cpus.
      Rob
      email: [email protected]

Comment

I Always love to see SmallPT runs on the many-core CPUs.

Comment

Dolfyn please. Show how it scales with memory bandwidth.

I would ask for openfoam but I guess that's too complex to set up for benchmarking purposes. And Fluent you must not publish benchmark numbers, even if you can afford to buy it

And when you do epyc testing, please make sure you do proper thread pinning. It's very important on this kind of architecture.

Comment

This will probably be a very niche request but as someone in the VFX field I have to ask: could you do any medium to large scale 3D rendering tests, outside of Blender? There's a discussion we've been having on the RenderMan forums about how the new Xeon's would perform against the Zen architecture. You may be able to sqeak out a floating license if you talk with Pixar's sales team just for benchmarking given your position in the community. There's two scenes I can provide that we've been using so far. They'd be packaged so you'd just have to install RenderMan Pro Server (through the RPM preferably on CentOS or RHEL) and then kick it off with one command.

Cheers!
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mroche View Post
              This will probably be a very niche request but as someone in the VFX field I have to ask: could you do any medium to large scale 3D rendering tests, outside of Blender? There's a discussion we've been having on the RenderMan forums about how the new Xeon's would perform against the Zen architecture. You may be able to sqeak out a floating license if you talk with Pixar's sales team just for benchmarking given your position in the community. There's two scenes I can provide that we've been using so far. They'd be packaged so you'd just have to install RenderMan Pro Server (through the RPM preferably on CentOS or RHEL) and then kick it off with one command.

Cheers!
              Mike
              Sounds like it's easy to test, but yeah unfortunately no license nor any real time to bother trying to get one out of Pixar or whatever.... so unless there's another way to access or some other free software renderer, not sure it'll be able to get done.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Sweet looking forward to testing. Would of loved to see more AMD EPYC cpus come with at least 2.7-2.8Ghz based clock speeds.

Comment

Have you tried PolyBench/ACC?

I didn't see it in your PTS suite listing.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                    Have you tried PolyBench/ACC?

I didn't see it in your PTS suite listing.
                    I don't think I have heard of it, but will take a look to see if it's easy/straightforward to build and run.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X