Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.14-rc3 Kernel Is Ready For Testing

Phoronix: Linux 4.14-rc3 Kernel Is Ready For Testing

Linus Torvalds has continued in his traditional Sunday release cadence of issuing a new kernel update for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My btrfs partition seems more stable on Tumbleweed with the 4.14 kernel changes, and I noticed today that the new version of systemd is also addressing btrfs bugs that were causing system hangups. So far, both rc1 and rc2 have treated me well, and I've been able to use them all week for my primary laptop without having to change back to the default 4.13 kernel.

Comment

I tried it on ElementaryOS and ACPI Error and back to 4.13 for me lol

Comment

Originally posted by Brophen View Post
        I tried it on ElementaryOS and ACPI Error and back to 4.13 for me lol
        I had the same problem with the early rc's for 4.13, so I was surprised that 4.14 was running so well out of the gate for me. I think it was 4.13 rc2 where I had no wifi and no USB and so immediately gave up on it. Do you have AMD or Nvidia graphics? I'm using Intel integrated graphics on this laptop, so avoid a lot of issues.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Do you guys mean these acpi errors:
          Code:
          [ 0.138194] ACPI: Executed 2 blocks of module-level executable AML code
          [ 0.140050] ACPI Error: Needed [Integer/String/Buffer], found [Region] ffff88021e878120 (20170728/exresop-424)
          [ 0.140120] ACPI Exception: AE_AML_OPERAND_TYPE, Could not execute arguments for [IOB2] (Region) (20170728/nsinit-426)
          [ 0.143551] ACPI: Interpreter enabled
          Those are harmless and a bug in the acpi driver. I have those with the 4.14-rc2 kernel and the Asus Prime B350M-K motherboard. The 4.13.4 kernel works fine with a HP Bay Trail Celeron laptop and have those acpi errors too. If you configure the kernel badly, wifi, usb etc does not work. See the Gentoo wiki how to configure wifi, usb etc.
          I've had no acpi errors with the 4.14.rc's. I'm running the 4.14 rc3 kernel on a Sandy Bridge i3 laptop. The 4.13.4 kernel is also working fine.

I don't recall if I got those acpi errors on the early 4.13 rc's when wifi and USB went out. The rc kernels I use are are configured by the openSUSE kernel:HEAD project.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

I had the same problem with the early rc's for 4.13, so I was surprised that 4.14 was running so well out of the gate for me. I think it was 4.13 rc2 where I had no wifi and no USB and so immediately gave up on it. Do you have AMD or Nvidia graphics? I'm using Intel integrated graphics on this laptop, so avoid a lot of issues.
            Just Intel on me laptop. I5-7200U

First time I've had a problem with any kernel but no biggie, it's RC, I'll try again on the next release. I just like keeping up to date, moving from ElementaryOS' prepackaged kernel to mainline fixed some issues on my laptop so I'm always excited to update it lol

Comment

it's better to wait 3 weeks before jump to this kernel

Comment

Working...
              X