Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State Of Intel's GPU Virtualization Pass-Through On Linux

Phoronix: The State Of Intel's GPU Virtualization Pass-Through On Linux

Wrapping up our XDC2017 coverage for this annual X.Org developer event that took place this past week in Mountain View, Zhenyu Wang of Intel presented on their ongoing work for mediated GPU virtualization pass-through support on Linux, Intel GVT...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Biggest question is if this would work with native drivers on windows.
    And of course if this were to work with native drives on OSX, this could let us run that shit on my PC, rather than on macbook which we own, but running OSX alone in KVM is really hard I heard, so this is very advanced.

So my only question is, does it work with windows drivers? Which windows versions are supported if so?

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
      So my only question is, does it work with windows drivers? Which windows versions are supported if so?
      I believe that the guest sees the device as the native hardware, aka the same drivers that you'd use under windows as host, work for the guest. Everything from Windows 7+ is supported.

Comment

Intel seems to be fine with pass-through as of lately, but Ryzens and possible other AMD CPUs are suffering from various NPT (Nested Page Tables, https://www.anandtech.com/show/2480/10) oddities.

IMHO, it is time to raise some dust about this...

Comment

most boring and hard to listen talk in a while, mostly cosists of "ahm, ah, …" :-/ people should really practice their talk, at least once, ... :-/

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
            most boring and hard to listen talk in a while, mostly cosists of "ahm, ah, …" :-/ people should really practice their talk, at least once, ... :-/
            Frankly I feel that way about most speakers in Xorg events or alike.
            It does not help that many of them are non native english speakers, that probably write and read english a lot, but maybe don't speak it that much.

Comment

there is some tutorial, explanation to put this working, or no documention?

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                Many programmers aren't good at speaking in public anyway, and practicing enough to be decent means investing a lot of time and effort.

I personally think they should have some professional speaker do the talks, while the developer is in the room for answering questions only.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                  there is some tutorial, explanation to put this working, or no documention?
                  Wendel from level1linux did a 5 hour livestream yesterday setting it up.
                  unlisted video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srfpQ3LmTVg
                  The documentation should be in the level1linux forums haven't searched for it yet.

Comment

Would this allow proper video acceleration on Linux and Windows VMs through KVM (say through gnome boxes)? I'm thinking of something like virtualbox additions that allow full resolution and improved graphical responsiveness.

Comment

Working...
                    X