Experimental Nouveau Reclocking Patches Updated, Including For Maxwell GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental Nouveau Reclocking Patches Updated, Including For Maxwell GPUs

Phoronix: Experimental Nouveau Reclocking Patches Updated, Including For Maxwell GPUs

Karol Herbst has sent out 29 updated patches on Friday for a major rework to the Nouveau clock related code for re-clocking and related functionality. This includes a "hacky workaround" for getting re-clocking to function on GeForce GTX 900 "Maxwell 2" GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those sneaky buggers… Make the clock settable without firmware, but lock the bloody fan! It's as if they're playing with the Nouveau developers (which they probably are). Seriously, why lock the fan but not the clock?

Comment

Truely outstanding work.

Comment

How much better would amd drivers be if these efforts got redirected from the vendor which obviously hates open source to the one that actively supports it?

This, IMHO, is a lost cause.

Comment

I have also cpio errors on gk107 (quadro k2000m). This problem is from kernel 4.4, and every second start of pc is freezing. Very bad error.

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
            Those sneaky buggers… Make the clock settable without firmware, but lock the bloody fan! It's as if they're playing with the Nouveau developers (which they probably are). Seriously, why lock the fan but not the clock?
            most likely to "protect" the hardware against damages by messing with the fan

Comment

Originally posted by misp View Post
              How much better would amd drivers be if these efforts got redirected from the vendor which obviously hates open source to the one that actively supports it?

This, IMHO, is a lost cause.
              none, because working on AMD means reading specs -> not what RE is all about.

Comment

Great! I hope this gets mainlined before the next LTS kernel. I stopped using nouveau for one year because it made my computer crash for time to time when I did the experimental re-clocking thing to play openarena. But I've kept reading about their new work hooping that it will soon be stable enough to play openarena (it could already give the 125fps I like to play at).

But I'll eventually have to buy an AMD GPU because AFAIK nouveau doesn't support 144hz monitors

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post
                  Great! I hope this gets mainlined before the next LTS kernel. I stopped using nouveau for one year because it made my computer crash for time to time when I did the experimental re-clocking thing to play openarena. But I've kept reading about their new work hooping that it will soon be stable enough to play openarena (it could already give the 125fps I like to play at).

But I'll eventually have to buy an AMD GPU because AFAIK nouveau doesn't support 144hz monitors
                  well starting with a 4.12 kernel it should be stable enough already for most GPUs. And I doubt the latter is true for that reason. Might be the result of another issue. 144Hz is technically not much different to 60Hz. Just more picture per second, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

none, because working on AMD means reading specs -> not what RE is all about.
                    Didn't mean RE efforts, but programming / developer time generally.

If we assume 5 people are actively working on Nouveau and they say 'fuck it, let's spend our time improving Amd drivers'... Those would get improved dramatically and fast (even now the progress is amazing when redhat and valve chipped in)...

I just don't understand the persistence to make free drivers for a company that can obviously afford people to make it for them. And treating community like shit.

Linus said it nicely.

Comment

Working...
                    X