Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out-of-Order Rasterization On RadeonSI Will Bring Better Performance In Some Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out-of-Order Rasterization On RadeonSI Will Bring Better Performance In Some Games

Phoronix: Out-of-Order Rasterization On RadeonSI Will Bring Better Performance In Some Games

AMD developer Nicolai Hähnle has published a set of patches today for adding out-of-order rasterization support to the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver. Long story short, this can boost the Linux gaming performance of GCN 1.2+ graphics cards when enabled...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see that the opensource drivers are getting more and more optimized. If any of the devs read this, thanks a lot!!!

Comment

I wonder if there will be an OpenGL extension for this like VK_AMD_rasterization_order and how big the improvements can be on older GCN cards.

Comment

@Michael:
        Marek started the work, but I got sigfault/bus error with his patch set.
        Was: '[Mesa-dev] [PATCH 1/2] radeonsi: enable out-of-order rasterization when possible on VI and GFX9 dGPUs'
        So Nicolai took a stab ;-)

Remember: If you try it, you have to use patch 2-5. Number 1 _is_ allready in.
        Cheers (you know what I mean ;-) ),
        Dieter

Comment

Very nice, glad to see that improvements keep coming to AMD's open source drivers.
          Thanks to all involved indeed

Comment

Nice in theory but I can't see myself messing around with such options...

Comment

I love all the work that goes into the open-source AMD drivers, and how much improvement is seen. Now if only I could get that second card...

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                Nice in theory but I can't see myself messing around with such options...
                You don't have to. This patch series enables safe optimizations whenever possible. The additional, unsafe optimizations aren't going to make much of a difference in most situations anyway.

Comment

Is there a list of all possible options to play with? (Not just those two)

Comment

Originally posted by Shevchen View Post
                    Is there a list of all possible options to play with? (Not just those two)
                    driconf exposes the options the driver makes available, it's not a static list. It let's you create profiles per application binary. The only exception are the DEBUG environment overrides.

Comment

Working...
                    X