Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPv10 Draft Specification Published

Phoronix: IPv10 Draft Specification Published

It has been about one year since last hearing anything about the Internet Protocol v10 (IPv10) proposal while this week it's now available in draft form...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I admit my ignorance in the matter .... but ipv6 does not use anyone, most people disable it and now talk about ipv10? It looks like a mad world!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
      I admit my ignorance in the matter .... but ipv6 does not use anyone, most people disable it and now talk about ipv10? It looks like a mad world!
      What part of the following sentences (from the article) you didn't understand? This is a completely non-technical explanation everyone should be able to understand.

IPv10 is designed to allow IPv6 addresses to communicate to/from IPv4 addresses.
      IPv10 hopes to speed the adoption to IPv6 addressing by making it more backwards compatible with IPv4 with allowing the two Internet Protocol standards to better coexist.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
        I would not say 'nobody' uses it:

If you read the article/summary: IPv10 is a protocol which tries to create a bridge between islands of IPv4 and IPv6. (4+6=10)

Comment

Eh. Authors of this spec are simply evil. Their only goal is to make the world a worse place. They hate the world, so they want to make everyone else hate it too.

If this becomes adopted, IPv4 will never die.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Those are not ordinary people. In a home LAN, you do nothing with ipv6.
            I used it. It comes handy for many things. For one, you are not limited to being visible to outside world through just one IP address. Another thing is that with IP6, at least is it is offered here, you get static IP. You also don't need NAT, which simplifies many things when you need to reach a server at small/home LAN etc.

Comment

Even if I wanted to use IPv6 I don't think my ISP supports it, so there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                Even if I wanted to use IPv6 I don't think my ISP supports it, so there's that.
                Ask. I've also thought that my doesn't support it, but I've send an email, and they turned it on for me.

Comment

Yawn, take a look at https://twitter.com/The_Road_Series/...40346177355777 and tell me this guy isn't a crank?

Or for that matter, https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-omar-si-00 where the same guy suggests connecting satellites in geosynchronous orbit with fibre optic cables.
                  Last edited by jabl; 07 September 2017, 07:33 AM.

Comment

I think this is more for servers than for consumers. And i see nothing wrong with using simpe ipv4 addresses for LAN and ipv6 for WAN.

Comment

Working...
                    X