Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WebKitGTK+ 2.17.92 Brings Improved Wayland Support

Phoronix: WebKitGTK+ 2.17.92 Brings Improved Wayland Support

The WebKitGTK+ build of the WebKit rendering engine for GNOME desktop applications has seen measurable Wayland improvements ahead of this month's GNOME 3.28 debut...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why still using WebKit? These days, most non-Apple projects now use Blink, a fork that it's outperforming the original project in many many ways. Why is GTK always in the past?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Why still using WebKit? These days, most non-Apple projects now use Blink, a fork that it's outperforming the original project in many many ways. Why is GTK always in the past?
      Blink doesn't have a GTK+ port. Even the Qt port of chromium has to live in the Qt repository and occasionally rebased instead of living in the upstream repository. That's not really a sustainable path and it has bit them in the past with WebKit.
      Gnome developers already invested a lot of effort and resources in maintaining the GTK+ WebKit port upstream. It would be a waste for them to switch to anything else at this stage. That would simply take too much time.
      Last edited by Guest; 05 September 2017, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post
        Blink doesn't have a GTK+ port. Even the Qt port of chromium has to live in the Qt repository and occasionally rebased instead of living in the upstream repository. That's not really a sustainable path and it has bit them in the past with WebKit.
        Gnome developers already invested a lot of effort and resources in maintaining the GTK+ WebKit port upstream. It would be a waste for them to switch to anything else at this stage. That would simply take too much time.
        Do you at least acknowledge WebKit is inferior than Blink?

Comment

Could you maybe just explain why you think it is better? That would be more helpful than statements that it is and request to ack without much detail.

Comment

No. I'm not concerned with accusing one project of being inferior to be honest. I couldn't care less.
            WebKit works well for me in Evolution, for example, and that's mostly what I care for.
            Now don't go around pretending I compared WebKit and Blink because I didn't give an opinion. I only explained why it makes sense that Gnome developers find it technically feasible to stick with WebKit.

Comment

Originally posted by hussam View Post
              No. I'm not concerned with accusing one project of being inferior to be honest. I couldn't care less.
              WebKit works well for me in Evolution, for example, and that's mostly what I care for.
              Now don't go around pretending I compared WebKit and Blink because I didn't give an opinion. I only explained why it makes sense that Gnome developers find it technically feasible to stick with WebKit.
              You are scared of the reality...

Comment

And what reality would that be?

Comment

Working...
                X