Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtualBox 2.0.4 Gets Released

Phoronix: VirtualBox 2.0.4 Gets Released

VirtualBox 2.0.4 has been released this morning as the second maintenance release in the 2.0 series. This virtualizer for x86 hardware that's owned by Sun Microsystems now has better reporting for VT-x failures, Qt interface fixes, virtualization crash fixes, Solaris host support for Crossbow Virtual Network Interfaces, Ubuntu 8.10 support, Linux clipboard fixes, and other changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well only VBOX Addon support for Ubuntu 8.10 is new. They did not fix some issues with the kernel on non VT machines of the older Ubuntu test images - which solved a kernel patch - back then Vbox crashed even while booting Ubuntu live iso images.

Comment

Sadly it still reports that 64-bit guests is still broken with Virtualbox reporting "You cannot install a 64-bit guest on this machine" on machines that are fully capable of it.

Comment

Install a 64 bit host OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Sun needs to add support for running a 64 bit guest on top of a 32 bit OS even if the host CPU IS a 64 bit one.

Comment

Can VMWARE do that?

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
              Sun needs to add support for running a 64 bit guest on top of a 32 bit OS even if the host CPU IS a 64 bit one.
              Why would you possibly want to do such a thing?

As far as I'm aware a 32 bit host os on a 64 bit processor is run in a special protected mode (this was done for compatibility with x86). Not to mention that the program would be compiled for x86 and would not be able to allocate the resources for x64. However somebody please correct me if I'm hopelessly wrong...

edit: in vmware it seems to be possible to use a 32bit host for 64 bit guests if the cpu is 64 bits.
              Last edited by _txf_; 27 October 2008, 10:52 AM. Reason: EDIT: apparently I'm wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                That is with a 64-bit host.

Comment

Enable VT in the advanced options. This is required for 64-bit support (it's in the manual ).

Comment

Working...
                  X