Intel Announces 8th Gen Core CPUs: Claims 40% Boost Over Gen 7, More Cores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Announces 8th Gen Core CPUs: Claims 40% Boost Over Gen 7, More Cores

Phoronix: Intel Announces 8th Gen Core CPUs: Claims 40% Boost Over Gen 7, More Cores

The embargo expired this morning for Intel's "8th Gen Core CPU" announcement. The initial CPUs being rolled out now are their laptop/ultrabook U series processors while the new desktop processors will come later in the year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

oh boy, another 2% IPC improvement that requires buying a new motherboard because it's incompatible with previous chipsets

Comment

There will be no IPC improvement - it's the old SkyLake uArch. If you are a rabid AMD fanboy, go discuss this news at WCCFTech. You'll find a lot of like-minded people over there.

Someone at Intel must be fired - they decided to call the 8th gen mobile CPUs ... Kaby Lake Refresh. So, they are the 8th generation CPUs belonging to the 7th generation. WTF? Are you serious, Intel?

Comment

The important question is: did Intel put their secret backdoor, Intel Management Engine (ME), in again? That anti-feature is an absolut deal-breaker and more important than a few percent performance gain.

Comment

Originally posted by Kohrias View Post
          The important question is: did Intel put their secret backdoor, Intel Management Engine (ME), in again? That anti-feature is an absolut deal-breaker and more important than a few percent performance gain.
          WCCFTech welcomes you.

And no, Intel ME doesn't go anywhere. Enterprise wants it, enterprise needs it.

Also, Intel ME can be permanently disabled but bitching about Intel is so cool nowadays, right? As if Zen has finally reached IPC parity with Intel. Oh, wait, it hasn't.

Also, most consumer PCs have it disabled by default (IOW it is present but not active). But who cares? Let's mention it anyways, 'cause hating Intel is so trendy.
          Last edited by birdie; 21 August 2017, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            There will be no IPC improvement - it's the old SkyLake uArch. If you are a rabid AMD fanboy, go discuss this news at WCCFTech. You'll find a lot of like-minded people over there.

Someone at Intel must be fired - they decided to call the 8th gen mobile CPUs ... Kaby Lake Refresh. So, they are the 8th generation CPUs belonging to the 7th generation. WTF? Are you serious, Intel?
            Yup. I don't like it when AMD mixes GPUs from various generations into a single lineup, I don't like when Intel does it with their CPUs either.

Originally posted by Kohrias View Post
            If that's a deal breaker, then you won't buy CPUs any longer, since AMD also has PSP.

Comment

The intel atom c3000 series was also recently announced. Looking more towards those chips for low powered home server options.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

WCCFTech welcomes you.

And no, Intel ME doesn't go anywhere. Enterprise wants it, enterprise needs it.

Also, Intel ME can be permanently disabled but bitching about Intel is so cool nowadays, right? As if Zen has finally reached IPC parity with Intel. Oh, wait, it hasn't.

Also, most consumer PCs have it disabled by default (IOW it is present but not active). But who cares? Let's mention it anyways, 'cause hating Intel is so trendy.
                I hate Intel for this kind of thing (and their monopolistic power abuse), not because it's trendy. I couldn't give a flying rat's arse about trends. I don't want a CPU vendor that does things like that. If AMD does the same, then AMD sucks as well. If AMD becomes a monopolistic power-grabbing company when they have the chance and Intel becomes the consumer-friendlier underdog at that point, I will switch to Intel.

But more ontopic: Is this release, this Kaby Lake Refresh, mobile only? Meaning they won't have a proper desktop answer to Ryzen until at least next year? But if the 40% claim is accurate, then they may hold the upper ground on mobile. Let's wait and see until these (and Raven Ridge) are out and reviewed.

Edit:
                Originally posted by bug77 View Post

If that's a deal breaker, then you won't buy CPUs any longer, since AMD also has PSP.
                That sucks

Comment

Very sneaky to market them as 8th generation.
                  Then I don't know which ones are really from the 8th generation with Coffee Lake, so I guess I will just avoid all 8th generation laptops and skip that one.
                  Now it will be difficult to know if you got a Coffee Lake which is 8th generation or if you get a Kaby Lake Refresh deceptively branded as a 8th generation while it's arguably really not.
                  So best to skip the entire 8th generation laptops and wait for the 9th generation Cannon Lake unless you can wait for the 10th generation Ice Lake.

Comment

Seems like they didn't do much more than kick all of the hardware down a notch in the model range so that the (x)800 becomes the (x+1)700, (x)700 becomes the (x+1)600, (x)600 becomes the (x+1)500 and so on.

This is obviously a decent upgrade, but the fact that they did this and thus ended up releasing two refreshes the same year definitely suggests that AMD caught them with their pants down or at the very least in the middle of exploiting their dominant market position. If I hadn't bought a Ryzen R7 1700 when they released and was still in the market for a new CPU the 6 core 8700k would definitely be an interesting prospect, but I'm not sure I'd want to wait until very late Autumn or early Winter to buy one. Then there's also the fact that two motherboard vendors have, when asked, revealed that current LGA 1151 boards won't be supported even thou the new chips will still use the same socket.

Comment

Working...
                    X