Ubuntu Dock Now Present By Default In Ubuntu 17.10's GNOME Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Dock Now Present By Default In Ubuntu 17.10's GNOME Session

Phoronix: Ubuntu Dock Now Present By Default In Ubuntu 17.10's GNOME Session

Making their GNOME Shell session more like the Unity 7 experience, Ubuntu 17.10 as of today is installing its new Ubuntu Dock by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully they move the launcher from the bottom up

Comment

Looks good, this layout is the only big thing I liked about Unity, let's see what the user experience is like.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
        So GNOME proved to be extremely friendly to modders, themers and extenders. Verified by Canonical and the GNOME upstream.

Mark Shuttleworth sure did make the right pick.
        Are you being sarcastic? He chose to make his own instead of working with Gnome3. After pouring a lot of effort in Unity for about 7 years he gave up and is now going to use Gnome3. Think of all that effort going into Gnome3 instead of Unity and Unity2d(which I really liked because it didn't need a GPU.

Comment

So GNOME proved to be extremely friendly to modders, themers and extenders. Verified by Canonical and the GNOME upstream.

The current version of gnome is not the original 3.0 disaster, not by a long shot, and while I'm a big critic of some of their moronic GUI decisions modern gnome desktop is technically OK, and a great base to build on top of.

I commend Canonical for making a customized more usable gnome desktop out of the box.

Comment

I take it that you just ignore how Gnome3 was back when Ubuntu launched Unity? The hate, full mouth froth raging that we have seen the last years on i.e Slashdot regarding systemd is nothing compared with how Gnome3 was discussed back in the day.

On topic I do hope that it will be possible to move the min/max/close buttons to the left side as it's been in Unity. The odd times when I have to navigate a Windows system it feels outright awkward to go to the right side to close a window.

Comment

Canonical decided not to invest more in the desktop, they chose the easiest and least expensive way. The problem is that Ubuntu users do not like Gnome shell, with the launcher trying to avoid a traumatic passage, but in my opinion it will be inevitable. Many users have already apologized to Ubuntu, especially those who use the PC for work and do not want to find a shell like Gnome. I'm really trying to think that Gnome is considered the Linux reference DE, but at this time Gnome shell is not the most used Linux DE, it is understood by all the surveys that have appeared in recent years.

Comment

Looks pretty good to me.

Comment

1) According to the Ubuntu developers the desktop team is kept about the size as in the Unity8 days. They just happened to switch technology and become much more productive.

2) GNOME is by far the most used desktop. And it happens to be default on all distributions that matters these days
                  [Citation needed]

Comment

Looks nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X