Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libratbag's Piper Mouse GUI Interface Had A Successful GSoC

Phoronix: Libratbag's Piper Mouse GUI Interface Had A Successful GSoC

While this year's Google Summer of Code isn't done for a few more weeks, the Piper mouse control user-interface for libratbag has now seen all of its major features completed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks very nice, indeed!

I like how now we have a tool for configuring these devices that works better and has a better interface than many such tools for Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
      This saves vertical space
      Ha, that's rich. Pretty much all GTK3 themes are huge! So you maybe save a few pixels by using a headerbar instead of a classic window decoration and toolbar, but what's a few pixels when every widget is ginormous anyway?

Headerbars may have their stylistic and possibly functional aspects (I say "possibly", because you could very well provide the same functionality in a classic toolbar). But saving vertical space? Give me a break.

The first thing I did way back when I switched from KDE3 (with its quite compact Plastik theme) to a GTK2 environment was hack and slash through the Clearlooks theme to reduce the size of pretty much every single widget. I've been eyeing a switch to GTK3 recently, and what am I doing as a first step? Hacking and slashing through ClearlooksPhenix to not be ginormous (don't like the default Adwaita theme at all, Arc is beautiful but also has hefty-sized widgets).

Comment

In all seriousness. What on earth is wrong with you people. How can you LIKE this?! The GUI is mostly AIR!!! and that is just a waste of space.
        You can easily reduce this interface to about 25% of the size without loosing any functionality.

1. Remove all the unneccesary air in the GUI
        2. Compact the buttons a bit
        3. Get back a SANE menu bar instead of ruining the titlebar
        4. Make a scaleable mouse icon (svg anyone?) that does not take up so much space
        5. Replace the resolution buttons with a drop down list / combobox or something

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST SCREWED UP USER INTERFACES!!!! BRING BACK SANITY!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

waxhead

I love it. I'm glad that more functions like this are continuing to be made into GUI components, instead of being forced to fiddle around with config files and commands all the time.

For those users who love CLI functions over GUI, I hope that basic functionality always exists. It's extremely useful in the rare instances when one is forced to use it. But we gotta have more GUI configurability for normal usage. It's just more natural.

What UI (post a link to it) do you prefer for multi button mice?

Comment

Well, better a not perfect UI than no UI. But I support some of your points:

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
            4. Make a scaleable mouse icon (svg anyone?) that does not take up so much space
            Especially point 5 looks pretty strange

Comment

If only it would let you control the mouse wheel scroll rate. One day it may be possible to do this on Linux without hacks (imwheel) or toolkit-specific configs (Qt). Maybe when the market share for mouse wheels is higher.

You can easily reduce this interface to about 25% of the size without loosing any functionality.
              Or you could leave it as is and not lose any functionality.

Comment

In all seriousness. What on earth is wrong with you people. How can you LIKE this?! The GUI is mostly AIR!!! and that is just a waste of space.

1. Remove all the unneccesary air in the GUI
                2. Compact the buttons a bit

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST SCREWED UP USER INTERFACES!!!! BRING BACK SANITY!
                While generally i would tend to agree with your remarks, in this case i actually think this interface looks good.
                Normally what happens is that you have to do way more mouse clicks to get the same action done.
                And in this case, it's actually the opposite.
                About the space... we are in the 24" + monitors, FHD, UHD and the likes. Since we have plenty, why not use it? As long as it doens't take the whole screen...

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                  While generally i would tend to agree with your remarks, in this case i actually think this interface looks good.
                  Normally what happens is that you have to do way more mouse clicks to get the same action done.
                  And in this case, it's actually the opposite.
                  About the space... we are in the 24" + monitors, FHD, UHD and the likes. Since we have plenty, why not use it? As long as it doens't take the whole screen...
                  Ahem, laptops are more common than desktops.

Also, multi-window environments waste more space with window decorations, but admittedly GNOME isn't multi-window friendly so that's probably irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post
                    Or you could leave it as is and not lose any functionality.
                    And why do you want to use a lot more space for absolutely nothing?!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Working...
                    X