Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0 A.D. Alpha 22 Venustas Released

Phoronix: 0 A.D. Alpha 22 Venustas Released

For fans of the 0 A.D. open-source ancient warfare game, its 22nd alpha release is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

any vulkan work?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
      any vulkan work?
      Yup, there is an amazing Extinct Volcano map!

Comment

Anyone know if is available universal binary? Tarball or appimage for Linux distros?

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          any vulkan work?
          Does it really need vulkan support ? I thought vulkan was interesting for CPU bound game. I don't think 0 AD is CPU bound...

Comment

This game just needs the hability to reach industrial, technological era's, something like empire earth to make it more fun and interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by jery View Post

Does it really need vulkan support ? I thought vulkan was interesting for CPU bound game. I don't think 0 AD is CPU bound...
              0 AD is an example of a single core bound game. The more units move the sloppy the game becomes - and it's clearly visible that only one core is at 100% and other "do nothing". Even few/one unit that can't reach it destination - that recalculates path over and over can screw the speed of the game.

Comment

I try really hard to like this game, but I can't. The units seem relatively small and hard to quickly identify visually. If you run at lower res or zoom in, the view of surrounding terrain/units is compromised.

Comment

CPU bound: Absolutely, but they have made performance improvements, and it's more playable now than the early alphas – if the game suddenly started stuttering, that's how you knew the AI was coming for an attack!

Comment

The team behind this game has done a great job. IMO the only thing preventing the game from going out of alpha and becoming production ready is the stuttering it suffers when the number of units in the game become very large. In fact, if you play it with less players or lower population limit you don't see any reason why the game is still labeled as alpha.

Comment

Working...
                    X