No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Proposes "DeepColor Visual" Extension For X.Org Server, For HDR On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Proposes "DeepColor Visual" Extension For X.Org Server, For HDR On Linux

Phoronix: NVIDIA Proposes "DeepColor Visual" Extension For X.Org Server, For HDR On Linux

Since last year NVIDIA has been working on HDR support for the Linux desktop. They've worked on support for their driver, but with the Linux infrastructure for High Dynamic Range monitors lacking, they've been working on lower-level Linux improvements to allow for a HDR Linux desktop ecosystem with this next-generation of displays...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good to see multiple contributors working to get HDR implemented. Hopefully at least some of this work provides an infrastructure that is useful for Wayland too.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      Good to see multiple contributors working to get HDR implemented. Hopefully at least some of this work provides an infrastructure that is useful for Wayland too.
      I was just going to say: A more forward looking approach would be to work on this for Wayland (and preferably sort out their alternate Wayland implementation first). Either this will be ready fairly soon or it will have a pretty short lifetime with the forseeable switch to wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post

I was just going to say: A more forward looking approach would be to work on this for Wayland (and preferably sort out their alternate Wayland implementation first). Either this will be ready fairly soon or it will have a pretty short lifetime with the forseeable switch to wayland.
        Wayland is brand new, I'd be surprised if it doesn't have HDR support built in. This is about expanding support to X.

Comment

I hope that this do not result in another fiasco that was the EGL drama.

Comment

If you think that there'll be a general switch to Wayland any time soon, you're deluded.

Comment

Hope this work can be handled like glvnd instead of EGL Streams

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Wayland is brand new, I'd be surprised if it doesn't have HDR support built in. This is about expanding support to X.
                Wayland is 10 years old, and no it doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Wayland is 10 years old, and no it doesn't
                  Wikipedia says initial release was on February 9, 2012. But nice forward looking if indeed it lacks HDR support.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Wikipedia says initial release was on February 9, 2012. But nice forward looking if indeed it lacks HDR support.
                    Technically speaking, that's a compositor thing, so it's the compositor that needs to be FP16-aware and translate lower stuff to FP16, Wayland per-se is indifferent to this.
                    see https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/HDR
                    and page 16 of these slides (from NVIDIA) https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC201...c-2016-hdr.pdf

Comment

Working...
                    X