Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 0.27 Released With Drag-And-Drop Support

Phoronix: Mir 0.27 Released With Drag-And-Drop Support

Ubuntu's Mir display server is out today with version 0.27 that is an interim step before Mir 1.0 with Wayland client support. Mir 0.27 contains functionality that was a work-in-progress during Canonical's recent restructuring and shift in focus...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But after Unity8 was abandoned and without direct/native support from Gnome or KDE, continuing MIR development seem without any sense for a distant future. Meaning without the critical mass of users, absolutely necessary for sustainable development. Maybe they have just a small number of clients but with a lot of moneys.

Comment

So basically MIR will have a Wayland Compositor baked into...

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
        But after Unity8 was abandoned and without direct/native support from Gnome or KDE, continuing MIR development seem without any sense for a distant future. Meaning without the critical mass of users, absolutely necessary for sustainable development. Maybe they have just a small number of clients but with a lot of moneys.
        Spelling it MIR instead of the way it's spelled in the article just means you're demonstrating complete ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
          So basically MIR will have a Wayland Compositor baked into...
          Mir doesn't need and isn't getting another compositor "baked in". It will handle clients talking another IPC protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
            Mate desktop will be ported to Mir. Perhaps strictly speaking, this is unconfirmed. If others follow, i.e. XFCE and LXQt do the same, lightweight new stuff is created for the tiling window manager and fluxbox etc. users, then this will be a pretty major back-end for desktops.

Comment

I really don't like drag and drop, usually I go for copy/paste instead, when I have to use MacOS, I hate that many of the manipulations are through drag and drop

Comment

Yea, sometimes it is even good to go to the "edit" menu then use "paste" there, because file managers have that long standing issue of no "free space"/"empty space" in the directory listing to click on or use as a drop target. Srsly, give me a couple empty lines at the bottom, even if I have to scroll to get there?
                In MacOS... That's the OS that wanted you to drag a floppy to the trash can to eject it? lol.

Drag'n'drop between two different applications still is a vital feature in a few cases, though. Drag files from the file manager to the media player's play list. With X11 you can even do that between two remote applications (if they're running on the same host at least)

Comment

Originally posted by AlanGriffiths View Post

Mir doesn't need and isn't getting another compositor "baked in". It will handle clients talking another IPC protocol.
                  But doesn't talking the Wayland protocol makes a piece of software a Wayland compositor?

Comment

AlanGriffiths - any word if Mir 1.0 will still happen for the 17.10 cycle? Thanks.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X