Windows 10 Radeon Software vs. Ubuntu 17.04 + Linux 4.12 + Mesa 17.2-dev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 Radeon Software vs. Ubuntu 17.04 + Linux 4.12 + Mesa 17.2-dev

Phoronix: Windows 10 Radeon Software vs. Ubuntu 17.04 + Linux 4.12 + Mesa 17.2-dev

With having carried out a new Windows 10 install this week for the latest Windows 10 WSL / VirtualBox benchmarking, I used this as a fresh opportunity for some new Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux benchmark figures.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It might be interesting to see some day comparison between Windows/DX vs Windows/OpenGL(Vulkan) vs Linux for tests where there is an option to use different rendering modes.

Comment

Simply amazing

Comment

Basically, better than Windows in anything that's not a game
        But seriously, that's great progress.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Basically game ports suck.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            The problem with games that are ports from Windows is that it's hard to tell how much performance loss is due to porting.

Comment

The high end of AMDs GPUs have a mixed high and low level of support in Linux, compared to the middle end GPUs. My 6970 never got much advantage compared to the 6870. The 7970 performance was good. The R9 290X for a while had mixed results, but is good in general, compared to the 270. Now the R9 Fury have mixed results again, compared to the RX480/470.

When my R9 290 got screen corruption, I almost replaced it with a R9 Fury/Nano, but could not justify the large gap in price with the low gap in performance on a big set of games.

I hope the high end Vega could be well supported, to open a large gap in performance to the middle end ones.

Comment

Would be more interesting to see data on "well made" games that aren't just wrappers on Linux. Unfortunately, that number of games is extremely low. I think Dota 2 is the only one I know of, where the rendering backends are completely native on all platforms.

Comment

When you see some ports having similar, and even better perf than on native windows, and on top of that with open source driver. I would be microsoft I'd really start to worry. If all these games were native...

Comment

Originally posted by Jahimself View Post
                    When you see some ports having similar, and even better perf than on native windows, and on top of that with open source driver. I would be microsoft I'd really start to worry. If all these games were native...
                    Don't worry, they have already a B plan in effect *cough*Canonical*cough*.

Comment

Working...
                    X